Oozing Buttercream

Baking By cookiecutters Updated 30 May 2010 , 1:20am by sugarshack

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 8

I have used the same buttercream recipe for all of my cakes and it has always set and crusted perfectly. Suddenly, for the my last two cakes, I wake up in the morning and what seems like oil has oozed from the buttercream to make a puddle on the cake board. Does anyone know what may be going on???

7 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:55am
post #2 of 8

Are you refrigerating your cakes after crumbcoating?

cookiecutters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecutters Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:57am
post #3 of 8

Nope. No refrigeration. Should I? I've never refrigerated my cakes unless there is something perishable in or on them.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:05am
post #4 of 8

NO. I wouldn't icon_lol.gif . I just thought that maybe you did refrigerate and that's what was causing your problem. I honestly don't know. I've never had anything like that to happen.

Have you changed brands of shortening? Do you use butter?

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 28 May 2010 , 4:31am
post #5 of 8

I was having a very similar problem recently.
I'd purchased the store-brand butter on sale rather than Land O Lakes. Never again. Ruined 2 cakes - fortunately just practice ones - with runny, drippy icing. Switched back to the Land O Lakes and everything was back to normal.

Like mamawrobin said, see if you're using a different brand *anything* than usual. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 8

I've had this happen using the same brands of things. It isn't all the time but ever now and then. Was your icing softer than normal? Your house warmer than normal? Your cakes moister than normal?

videominx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
videominx Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:19pm
post #7 of 8

I have had this problem a couple of times using IndyDebi's bc recipe. The icing crusted really well but a pool of liquid, probably grease, developed at the bottom border of the cake. Once it happened in August, which in Texas I can kind of understand, but the other time it happened in March when it is cooler. I don't think I have tried this recipe with hi ratio shortening yet, but I'm hoping that maybe this would solve the problem.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #8 of 8

could it be the no trans fat crisco?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%