Can I Fill And Ice The Day Before?

Decorating By cakefort Updated 28 May 2010 , 12:42pm by chellescountrycakes

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:17am
post #1 of 11

Can I fill and ice the day before, and stack and decorate the day of? I usually complete cakes the night before, but my old Wilton instructor told me not to and now I'm worried since this my first wedding cake...I don't trust my own instincts anymore

10 replies
Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:29am
post #2 of 11

I usually bake on Thursday, fill, ice and decorate on Friday and then deliver on Saturday. I almost always finish the day before I deliver. Only if I am behind do I finish the day of.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 11

I dont understand why they told you not to have your cake done the day before. I ALWAYS have my cake done the day before it is due. That way if anything goes crapola on it, I have plenty of time to fix it.

Are you using perishable fillings? icon_confused.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:35am
post #4 of 11

I always have mine finished at least the day before it's due. If anything goes wrong you have time to fix the problem.

I'm trying to understand why an instructor would give such advise. icon_confused.gif

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #5 of 11

I don't mean to take over your thread but I have question as well. Can you bake, fill, and crum coat then freeze a couple days ahead. 4 days?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:39am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiq

I don't mean to take over your thread but I have question as well. Can you bake, fill, and crum coat then freeze a couple days ahead. 4 days?

Yes you can.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:41am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefort

Can I fill and ice the day before, and stack and decorate the day of? I usually complete cakes the night before, but my old Wilton instructor told me not to and now I'm worried since this my first wedding cake...I don't trust my own instincts anymore

It's best to do it the way that you stated so that your filled cake has time to settle.

jessiq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessiq Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #8 of 11

Thank you! I was wondering about that. I love this website! Everyone is so helpful!

cakefort Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefort Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:00am
post #9 of 11

Thank you, all. I didn't understand why she said that either. I'd be a wreck if I had to do it all just hours before!

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 28 May 2010 , 3:22am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiq

I made a little cake for a family friend's boy who was turning 7. The party was scheduled for 5-20, on 5-19 I found out the birthday boy had strep throat and the party was cancelled. I told the mom that due to my work schedule the next week, I would have no time to redo another cake. She said, no problem, they'd take the cake anyway.

The cake was filled, iced in buttercream and already covered in fondant...so I just left it in my spare bedroom until today when they had the party. It was Macsmom's chocolate WASC with a PB buttercream filling...and it was just as moist as if it had been baked the day before!!

If you cover with fondant...it helps to "insulate" the cake...no air=moistness! You probably wouldn't need to freeze it.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 11

I'm with everyone else. Depending on how early or late I'm baking or how many (I make HUGE cakes, liek with 6 11X15 cakes) I might start baking on Wend evening/night. let them settle, for a few hours, cool real good, throw in the freezer to make it easier to trim etc. then ice and let sit on Thursday and decorate on Friday. that way I can nitpick it all day. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%