I Have Some Questions About Sugar Cookies Need Advice Asap

Baking By makeupdivaa Updated 28 May 2010 , 8:52pm by luv2bake6

makeupdivaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeupdivaa Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:25am
post #1 of 7

i just made a batch of sugar cookies (basically butter and flour) and the recipe says to put it in the fridge for no less than 1 hour. Can i keep it in there for longer, maybe overnight? or will it be too hard to roll out?

Also in the past when i roll of the cookies that have been in the fridge for about an hour i notice that they break when i roll them out. any ways to prevent this?

thanks

6 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 28 May 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeupdivaa

i just made a batch of sugar cookies (basically butter and flour) and the recipe says to put it in the fridge for no less than 1 hour. Can i keep it in there for longer, maybe overnight? or will it be too hard to roll out?

Also in the past when i roll of the cookies that have been in the fridge for about an hour i notice that they break when i roll them out. any ways to prevent this?

thanks

The best way to figure this out is to try it! I would think the dough will be just fine. Maybe try some right out of the fridge, and another sample that you let sit out for a bit. This way, you'll find out what works best for the exact recipe you're using.

westbrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
westbrook Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:15am
post #3 of 7

I roll my dough out while soft and then refrigerate. It only takes about 15 minutes to get hard and now cut them out. I put them back in refrigerator for a few minutes before baking.

Give it a try and see if that might work better for you.

mamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamaof3 Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:29am
post #4 of 7

I roll my sugar cookie dough out between sheets of wax paper on a cookie sheet... right after mixing... then I refrigerate at least an hour... sometimes over night if I need to. Over night doesn't make any difference when I do it that way.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 7

I leave my dough in overnight with no problems. The key is to start with a good recipe. Many of us on here like the NFSC recipe found here. Just use top quality ingredients for the best results.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof3

I roll my sugar cookie dough out between sheets of wax paper on a cookie sheet... right after mixing... then I refrigerate at least an hour... sometimes over night if I need to. Over night doesn't make any difference when I do it that way.

This is what I do also. I use the NFSC recipe that Tracy mentioned.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 28 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 7

I agree. I like to make up a bunch of batches to keep in the fridge for when i need them. I freeze for longer storage time as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%