Chocolate Buttercream Consistency

Baking By Lezlee Updated 30 May 2010 , 1:59pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Lezlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lezlee Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:01am
post #1 of 11

I hate working with chocolate buttercream. I can never seem to get it to a spreadable consistency. It's always so thick and heavy. Even when I add extra milk it just doesn't seem to thin down. I use a basic buttercream recipe and add cocoa powder. I must be doing something wrong!!! Does anyone have a recipe that tastes good and is spreadable/pipe-able?

10 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:16am
post #2 of 11

I have heard adding melted chocolate to a regular buttercream recipe works really well. I haven't personally tried it.

antoinette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antoinette Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:24am
post #3 of 11

I use indydebi's recipe then i add the dark chocolate syrup from hersheys. I also add a little dark coca powder in the milk.. Everybody loves it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #4 of 11

I add melted chocolate to my bc. I use Indydebi's recipe and add 6 ounces of melted unsweetened chocolate. (cool but still pourable) I just add a little bit of milk at a time until it "looks right".

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #5 of 11

mamawrobin, I was totally thinking of you when I replied, I know that's your method icon_wink.gif

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 28 May 2010 , 10:32am
post #6 of 11

I totally feel your pain Lezlee. I made one last night and am back in the kitchen this morning to start over. Could not get the frosting to smooth at all. But it sure tastes good! Well guess my hubby will just have to help eat another mistake!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2010 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 11

Adding cocoa powder even melted tends to dry out the icing some, what about adding a touch more fat to the recipe too?

Lezlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lezlee Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you for all of the responses! I am going to try the melted chocolate with a touch more Crisco to see if that helps. I'll see how that works. icon_rolleyes.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 May 2010 , 12:49pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lezlee

Thank you for all of the responses! I am going to try the melted chocolate with a touch more Crisco to see if that helps. I'll see how that works. icon_rolleyes.gif

I use half and half in my icing recipe (Indydebi's) and I find that just the added fat in the half and half is enough to make my icing smooth. Just thought I'd share that with you because you don't have to add more "shortening" to get more fat. Sometimes adding more crisco will give the icing a greasy feel in your mouth is why I prefer to get the fat from the cream. Just a suggestion thumbs_up.gif

sweet_honesty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_honesty Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 11

I am the complete opposite. I love working with chocolate buttercream and despise the plain stuff. I guess it's because chocolate is so much more forgiving if you happen to get a crumb or two.

I use cocoa powder in mine with evaporated milk to thin it down.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 30 May 2010 , 1:59pm
post #11 of 11

Just think of it as regular vanilla buttercream. If it's too thick, would you add more cocoa or some cornstarch to it? No, you would add liquid. So if you're making chocolate bc and you add more dry ingredient to it (the cocoa powder) it's only going to get thicker. Last time I made chocolate bc I made the buttercream dream recipe, because it uses half butter half shortening yum!, when I was creaming the two I melted 3-4 squares of Baker's unsweetened chocolate. Added that then started adding the sugar.

I've had people mistake my chocolate buttercream for mousse because of the consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%