New Guy's Last Class Cake

Decorating By rbbarker Updated 1 Sep 2005 , 11:23pm by CIndymm4

rbbarker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbbarker Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 27

Hello again everyone. Last night was our last class for Course I. I think my cake turned out ok, but once again my icing was way too thin. I'll get better at making enough. Anyway, pictures are here... http://www.boydandtricia.com/cakes.html. Oh, and I've already signed up for Course II starting next week!

26 replies
Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 27

The cakes look good. Keep up the good work. MC

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 27

Great job on the class cake! How did you manage to master those roses already??? They look great!

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 27

Your cake looks awesome! thumbs_up.gif
traci

debsuewoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debsuewoo Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:12am
post #5 of 27

Nice roses, Boyd! I'll bet your wife is the envy of the neighborhood!

Debbi

cybourg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cybourg Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:34am
post #6 of 27

Great cake! I took all three courses back to back with my 21 year old daughter and sometimes my two year old daughter also. lol icon_smile.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:36am
post #7 of 27

Very good! You obviously take pride in your work and it shows. icon_smile.gif

irisinbloom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irisinbloom Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:45am
post #8 of 27

AWESOME JOBicon_smile.gif

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:51am
post #9 of 27

Congratulations!! You are off to a great start-those roses are beautiful!! And it's nice to have some testosterone enjoying cake decorating! Keep up the great work!!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 2:30am
post #10 of 27

Great cakes, love your roses. thumbs_up.gif

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 2:39am
post #11 of 27

You did an awesome job! It looks very professional!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 2:51am
post #12 of 27

cake looks great. question did you like how you set the cake this time bottom on bottom and bottom is top of cake. I hope you did not mind when I suggest it that was one of the thing I was taught off right off the bat.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing more cakes

rbbarker Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 3:01am
post #13 of 27

That was great Leana. I think I knew better at the time, I just got ahead of myself and stacked the thing wrong. Hehe. Oh well. This time I stacked it right, but the icing was still too thin. I should have put another layer of icing on top of it.

I really enjoyed doing the roses and leaves. It's just amazing. You start to notice that if you shift positions this way or adjust pressure or any other small change, the rose turns out differently. It's like you can visualize what you want and then combine position and pressure and motion and everything to make it real. Just an awesome feeling...especially for someone not artistically inclined...like me.

I find the most pleasing thing right now to be getting the smoothest cake surface possible.

vicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicky Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 3:57am
post #14 of 27

Great Job! My first cakes did not look as good as yours! Good luck with your next set of classes.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 3:57am
post #15 of 27

Beautiful cake and your roses are awesome. I noticed how nice and smooth your buttercream is.. Almost looks as smooth as fondant.. Great job! Happy baking. icon_smile.gif
Liz

Jennz818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennz818 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:25am
post #16 of 27

I'm so impressed!! I took my 3 Wilton courses about a year ago while my dh was still taking college course to get his degree. Now I'm starting school next week and he wants to take wilton classes. I think you would be a great inspiration for him. Keep up the great work and posting your projects.
P.s. He's a HUGE hold'em freak!! He started out with a game every month or 2...now we play almost every week.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:39am
post #17 of 27

Boyd, I think you did a fantastic job on your cakes. And I-like everyone else-am greatly impressed with yuor roses! I have yet to take any classes and I am regretting it. But I think that you are going to do amazing things in the next course! Keep it up! It is great to see guys get into this .

Tanya

kalikw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kalikw Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:45am
post #18 of 27

Great job on the smoothing, looks very good. I really really like your roses. That is one thing I have not mastered.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 4:53am
post #19 of 27

Very very nice!!! I'm envious of your roses and your smooth icing. It does look like fondant!!! Great job!

Amy

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 5:29am
post #20 of 27

Wonderful cake!
Hugs Squirrelly

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:30pm
post #21 of 27

Great job on all your cakes! Your roses are lovely!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 5:55pm
post #22 of 27

Nice cakes!!! You icing is very smooth.

I usually end up making way too much icing--I'm just terrified that I will run out! lol! However, I have found that it freezes very well and I always use it up--so don't be skimpy in your icing making. You'll use it for sure!

Lisa

PS: I'm nosey and checked out your pics on your site. Alex is just absolutely ADORABLE!!!!

rbbarker Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 7:13pm
post #23 of 27

No worries. He's a cool young fella!

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 8:22pm
post #24 of 27

Great job on the cake! You should be very proud. You definately have the smoothing down pat. Beleive me - that is the toughest thing to master besides the rose itself (which you did great at). It's so true about the bag positioning.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 4:31pm
post #25 of 27

Beautiful cakes. You obviously got talent. I took all 3 courses 3 years ago and my roses don't look as nice as yours. CONGRATULATIONS!

Regards,
Naty

AndiSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndiSue Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 11:05pm
post #26 of 27

Boyd,
Your cakes are BEAUTIFUL!! I loved your clowns! Very creative! And as everyone else, I was WAY impressed with your roses!
And you know what, I am not surprised by a guy taking classes.. I have one in mine! It is refreshing to see guys stepping out of comfort zones and stereo types!
BRAVO on the cakes man!
And I too checked out the sight.. Alex is a cutie!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 11:23pm
post #27 of 27

Fabulous job on the cakes!!! I just took all three Wilton Courses in Feb, Mar & April.......I really enjoyed them! I look forward to seeing more of your cakes!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%