Oops - Baking Powder Instead Of Baking Soda

Baking By AnitaK Updated 31 May 2010 , 8:48pm by LindaF144a

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:08am
post #1 of 6

The cake is in the oven and I just realized that I used Baking Powder instead of Baking Soda. This is Pioneer Woman's chocolate cake recipe. Any idea what this mistake will do to my anxiously awaiting cake? The recipe called for "flour" with salt and baking soda, so I just assumed since it was all-purpose flour to use baking powder.
Bummer, I should have read the recipe closer but I was so excited to be trying this recipe.

5 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:50pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaK

The cake is in the oven and I just realized that I used Baking Powder instead of Baking Soda. This is Pioneer Woman's chocolate cake recipe. Any idea what this mistake will do to my anxiously awaiting cake? The recipe called for "flour" with salt and baking soda, so I just assumed since it was all-purpose flour to use baking powder.
Bummer, I should have read the recipe closer but I was so excited to be trying this recipe.

"flour" with sale and baking soda is self-raising flour, not all purpose flour. Depending on how much BP you put in the cake (and you have probably seen the results) it may not have risen enough. And it depends on the other ingredients in the cake. If there were any acidic ingredients or cocoa, then BS would be needed.

So what were the results?

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 31 May 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 6

The flour that I used was all purpose and added salt and baking powder which ultimately become self-rising, but as stated the recipe called for baking soda. Yes it had cocoa in it - it was chocolate cake.
It actually turned out so delicious that I had to get it out of my house otherwise I would have eaten the whole thing. But next time I'll try the baking soda to see what happens.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 31 May 2010 , 11:59am
post #4 of 6

The baking soda helps to neutralize the acids in the cake (chocolate from natural cocoa powder, buttermilk, yogurt, sour cream) There might be a resulting "tang" from these ingredients if you use bp instead. This is my understanding anyway.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 31 May 2010 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 6

If it was that good with the mistake, can you imagine how good it will be without the mistake? Better have someone take it out of the oven and directly out of the house. LOL

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 31 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 6

Last week I did almost the same thing. Instead of the 2 tsp of soda I was supposed to add, somehow I read the recipe wrong and on put in 1/4 tsp. I was not so fortunate. The cupcakes came out dry and tough. I had to toss them.

It turns out that BS in a cake made with cocoa acts as a tenderizer because the cocoa powder drys out and toughens a cake. Boy were they right.

From now on I read the recipe twice....or maybe three times. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%