Couple Questions About Stacked Cakes

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 25 May 2010 , 10:02pm by leah_s

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 3

1. If decorating a 10" cake do you use a 10" board or a larger board cut down for stacked tiers?
2. What is the best method for placing tiers on main cake?

I have tried taking a cake circle and imprint the circle in the center of the cake but when it comes to placing the tier on the cake it usually ends up off center. Once the cake is placed I find it hard to lift and move without damaging the cake below. Any help greatly appreciated.

2 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

1. If decorating a 10" cake do you use a 10" board or a larger board cut down for stacked tiers?
2. What is the best method for placing tiers on main cake?

I have tried taking a cake circle and imprint the circle in the center of the cake but when it comes to placing the tier on the cake it usually ends up off center. Once the cake is placed I find it hard to lift and move without damaging the cake below. Any help greatly appreciated.

I've only done a couple of stacked cakes but here is what I do.

I place the 10" cake on at least a 12' board. This way I have room for a border around the 10" cake.

As far as centering it. I put the 10" cake already on the 12" board on my kitchen table. Then I hold the 6" cake standing over top the 10" cake so I can see better before gently "dropping" the 6" cake onto the 10". If it's off center I take my small off-set spatula and push the cake board that the 6" is sitting on. Does that make sense?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 3

The six inch cake will be on some type of plate or board. You place *that* gently on top of your 10" cake and then use a ruler to measure from the edge of the plate/board to the edge of the cake. Adjust as necessary. Then press down on the plate or board so that it makes an impression on the top of the 10" cake. There, now you know where to place the 6" cake.

Also see my siggy.
|
|
|
V

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%