Should I Have Piped A Dam?

Decorating By Karen421 Updated 26 May 2010 , 10:04pm by mamawrobin

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 6

I am using whipped ganache, should I have piped a dam? I have never used whipped ganache before so I did not. I have used regular ganache and didnât need one and I was in a hurry, so it didnât occur to me I might, until I was putting the crumb coat on. OOPPS!! I put it in the fridge, do you think it will firm up and settle enough to put fondant on, or am I asking for trouble? Also, it is (and will be) 88 and humid.

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Karen, I'm in Arkansas as well so I know about this heat and humidity. It will be fine. Ganache sits up firmer than buttercream and I think it will be fine w/o a dam. You do need to give it time to settle before covering with fondant. Cakes settle. I usually give it at least 6 hours or more. You can add weight to press down on your cake and speed the process but it does need to settle. Once your cake has settled you can remove any of the filling that "escaped".

Allowing it to settle prevents the dreaded "buldge".

Karen421 Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks mamawrobin! I keep checking it and so far so good! I am going to let it sit until tomorrow, then cover it. Hopefully it won't bulge to much!

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:04am
post #4 of 6

Karen it shouldn't have a buldge at all since you're allowing the cake to rest before covering.

Karen421 Posted 26 May 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 6

You were right! No bulge, YIPPEE!!

Thank You!!

mamawrobin Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 6

Works everytime icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%