Strawberry Filling/icing

Baking By sweet12 Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 1:28pm by floral1210

sweet12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet12 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 17

I have been asked to make a cake for a baby shower and was told that the 'mother to be' loves strawberries, so they ask that i make a cake with strawberry frosting/filling... I dont usually do much with strawberries as i am allergic, so i was wondering if anyone has or has seen a good strawberry icing/filling recipe... Can i just make a nice smooth buttercream and add blended strawberries?? I tried looking on here in the recipe section and havent had any luck. Thanks for your replies!

16 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 17

Add strawberry jam into the icing recipe. You can use this for filling and icing.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 17

use the juice from 2 bags of frozen strawberries....too your buttercream recipe
the juice replaces any liquid you would have used.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 17

You can also add strawberry ''flavoring''. McCormack carries this flavor. For the filling,
use the just the gel part of canned strawberry pie filling (or use the strawberries in
there too). Make sure to do a stiff damn to hold it. I put the strawberry icing in
between the layers too with the filling on top of that.

minicuppie Posted 26 May 2010 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 17

IMO strawberry extract tastes nasty, with a strong chemical after taste. Check out these oils. Inexpensive to use as only 2-3 drops flavors a full 4 quart KA mixing bowl full of BC. You can find them at nearly every cake supply store as well as WM, HL and Michaels.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 17

I use 'All Fruit' brand for my strawberry filling...it sets up nicely (no slipping layers) and it tastes great!

minicuppie Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 17

Thanks for the tip, jones. The "all fruit" spreads would be a great addition when the BC is already sooo sweet.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:28pm
post #8 of 17

Very true...I've not tried it in BC ; but that make perfect sense to me!

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 17

I can also suggest using the "all Fruit" Strawberry preserves, mixed with a box of strawberry gelatin powder. This makes a great filling - (nuke the jam first). You can then add a 1/2 cup or so of the filling into the BC for the frosting, as well.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #10 of 17

I've used Smuckers strawberry syrup (in the pancake syrup section) and it great, made with real fruit so no weird chemical taste and the syrup doesn't mess with the buttercream consistency, gave it a nice light baby pink color too!

bates123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bates123 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 17

I need a strawberry jam filling too. I need one that doesn't require refrigeration. What is the best tasting that doesn't have to be refrigerated? I, personally don't like the taste of jam filling, so I'm very unsure of everything. How much jam do I need to put on the cake?

floral1210 Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 17

Check out the Easy Raspberry filling..it can be done with strawberry jello and starawberry jam. It's excellent...I described it above.

bates123 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:14am
post #13 of 17

Can the All Fruit be substituted with Smucker's Strawberry Jam and does it need refrigeration? I tried it with Smucker's and it's amazing! And I really don't like jam in cake, but this is wonderful! Still need to know if it has to be refrigerated?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 3:31am
post #14 of 17

the Chunky Strawberry filling on this site is excellent, I so much prefer fresh, from scratch fillings instead of jellies for cake filling, I'm super picky that way!

bates123 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:37am
post #15 of 17

I looked at the chunky strawberry filling. Looks really good. Does it require refrigeration?

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 4:42am
post #16 of 17

It's sooo yummy! I think it would be ok since it's cooked with sugar which acts as a preservative. I wouldn't leave it out of the fridge for more than 24 hrs though, that's just me.

floral1210 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 1:28pm
post #17 of 17

It should be fine. I only refrigerate it if it is not in a cake, to keep the consistency firm. Once in the cake, refrigeration is not necessary for a few days, at least. It is like the filling in jelly donuts, which aren't refrigerated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%