Help With Cake Filling... And Carolina Blue Color

Decorating By anacardia Updated 25 May 2010 , 8:26pm by floral1210

anacardia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anacardia Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hi
One of my husband's friend is throwing a surprise party for his wife and asked if I could make the cake, which I agreed to. He asked for a chocolate cake with raspberry jam filling.

He wants a three layer cake and I was wondering if the jam filling is going to be too thin... anyone has experience with this?

I have made many cakes but always use whipped ganache, buttercream or some sort of thick pastry cream as a filling, never made it with jam.
By the way, the cake is going to be decorated with fondant and he wants it in "carolina blue" color with white flower accents. Does anyone knows what kind/name of blue food coloring I should use to get the carolina blue hue? I don't want to mess up this part for sure.

I have wilton gels in sky blue and royal blue but I don't think those would work, I saw "cornflower blue" and another one too that I can't remember the name, just wasn't sure which one would be best for this.

The main question though is the jam filling, any ideas about this, would the jam be squeezed by the three layers and seem too thin? Is there a trick I could use to make it thicker? He doesn't want a raspberry mousse, so that is out.

I once had a cake at a wedding that had raspberry jam filling and lemon buttercream, I can't remember if they were in the same filling layer or in two separate ones, I just remember it was a multiple layer cake (maybe 4 laybers), and it was tasty.

TIA for the help!
Ana

8 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 9

my Best friend requested a layer of her wedding cake be choc. cake w/ strawberry jelly........not jam, not preserves.....jelly!! It's what the groom's mother had always made him as a kid and was his favorite! So I did it. I cut and served the cake myself and it looked like all the jelly had been absorbed into the cake, I did have a piece of it and it tasted WONDERFUL!! The flavor of the jelly was there, you just couldn't SEE the layer of jelly anymore!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 9

I use WIlton cornflower blue for the carolina blue color.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 9

I often make cakes with the Easy Raspberry filling on this site. It is a jar of preserves (microwaved) mixed into a box of raspberry jello powder (delish)! Whenm I use that filling, I always put a thin layer of buttercream down onto the cake to retard absorption. It works well, and as long as you have a hefty BC dam around the edge of the layer, you can pack the filling on thickly. HTH

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by floral1210

I always put a thin layer of buttercream down onto the cake to retard absorption. It works well, and as long as you have a hefty BC dam around the edge of the layer, you can pack the filling on thickly. HTH

Me too

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 25 May 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 9

Definitely used stiffened buttercream as a dam to keep it from seeping out the sides.

anacardia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anacardia Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:17pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks everyone for the reply!!
I thought about doing the dam to preventing seeping on the sides, glad to know you guys have done it and it works!
I thought the cornflower blue would work, I will go buy it tomorrow! (cake should be done by Saturday but I want to have everything I need on hand when I start making it towards the end of the week).

One question about doing the thin layer of BC to retard jam absorption into the cake: would you do it with a white BC on a chocolate cake too? Would it look weird to have a thin layer of BC in the middle of the black/brown cake?
Tha cake I had before was like that, thin layer of buttercream and jam, but it was a white cake (with lemon buttercream). Just wondering how it would look like on the chocolate cake.

Thanks again!!
Ana

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 9

I would use whatever you are using to frost the cake with. No sense making up something special.

floral1210 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floral1210 Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:26pm
post #9 of 9

I agree. As far as the dam, though, make sure whatever it is is good and sturdy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%