Need To Make This Cake

Decorating By princesssalamander Updated 28 May 2010 , 5:52am by jayarr

princesssalamander Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesssalamander Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 7

need to make a cake I made for my daughter-in-law for someone else, but she wants it to feed 50. I made it with 1 sandwich sponge recipe (3 eggs) so it was pretty small and didn't go round many people. How would I upsize it to go round 50? Should I just offer to make the same dog cake and a cutting cake, and if so how big would I need to make the cutting cake? Should I do a sheet and place the dog on top? Should I make a heart cake ( I have large Wilton heart pans, I think up to 14") and place the dog on top? Which size would I need for 50 kids?? It's for a birthday party so slices I guess are going to be on the large side!
LL

6 replies
CWIL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWIL Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 7

I would say since you've got your pattern worked out for this size dog cake, I would put it on top of a sheet cake and maybe make a throw rug or blanket that he sits on. HTH

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 7

i agree with pp - make another cake for her to sit on! She is totally adorable btw! I think piped green grass would be cute for the dog to sit on!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 May 2010 , 5:45pm
post #4 of 7

One 'cake mix' feeds 24, so make another of that size (or 1 1/2 times, perhaps to be sure) for puppy to sit on.
Normal size piece is 2x2x2 or 1x2x4 inches.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 7

I'd make a sheet cake, and then build up the sides tomake it look like a dog bed icon_smile.gif (dont take away from the sheet cake by digging it out) and then it would feed plenty.

I'd do the sheet cake, pick a size that is 6 inches all around bigger than the pup you have. then bake another cake, cut it in 3 inch strips and put them on the top outside of the sheetcake. cover in fondant, decorate like its the bed, and set the pup inside icon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 26 May 2010 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 7

ooohhh a dog bed! like it!

jayarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayarr Posted 28 May 2010 , 5:52am
post #7 of 7

YOUR CAKE IS GORGEOUS !!! thats sums it up. Thumbs Up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%