Anyone Have A Kopykake?

Baking By newb2 Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm by GeminiRJ

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 20

I have an opportunity to buy a kopykake KA300 (approx $200). I realize this is probably overkill for me since baking is just a hobby BUT does anyone have one and do you like it? Can you show me photos of what you've done with yours? Also, do you think that's a decent price? thanks!

19 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 20

I have the smaller version which is the 300XK projecter.Almost every cake in my gallery that requires a cartoon character etc is done with it.One of my best investments since I can't draw freehand.If you will be doing lots of outlining etc it is worth it.I have used it for cookies as well as fonts etc.

ButtacreamRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ButtacreamRose Posted 26 May 2010 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 20

icon_biggrin.gif Bump!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:30pm
post #4 of 20

Sweetopia uses a Kopycake on occasion. She has info about it on her website:

www.sweetopia.net

I know of several who use them and love them.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:42am
post #5 of 20

I'd be lost without my kopykake! I've only recently been using it for cookies, but it's been a huge time-saver. Decorating is just a hobby for me, too, but this piece of equipment is well worth the money!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 27 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #6 of 20

I loved the KopyKake we used to have at the grocery store bakery I used to work at. We had a whole bunch of pictures the customer could choose from, trace it using the KopyKake & then airbrush. They turned out pretty cool. If I could afford it & I had the space I would definitely get one.

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 27 May 2010 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 20

I bought one a few months back (found it on CraigsList for $100 - SCORE!) and I absolutely LOVE it! It's awesome for tracing, and more detailed work that I would probably never be able to do freehand. I'm just a hobby baker also, but I say if you've got a chance to snag one and you're comfortable with the price, go for it!
LL

newb2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newb2 Posted 27 May 2010 , 7:24pm
post #8 of 20

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to take the plunge....if it turns out that I don't use it I guess I can always try to resell it.

Maladymay (I hope I got your screen name right) Your cookies are adorable. did you use the kopykake for the monogram wedding favors you did or free hand those?

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:03pm
post #9 of 20

I got one on Craigs List as well! I use it for cookies. I'd like to be good at the tracing with icing like you all, but I'm not yet. So I use my edible markers with stick figures, and they turn out really cute and different. Here's some pics....
LL

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:08pm
post #10 of 20

newb2: Those were long before the kopykake, but fortunately an "M" is a nice easy letter to do freehand icon_biggrin.gif

MariaK38: Those are adorable! I've never used edible markers before. Seems that they'd be much easier than piping royal details... I'll have to try em someday.

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:26pm
post #11 of 20

I love my Kopykake! I too am just a hobbyist but it allows you to make really cool stuff. These are some Pokémon cookies I did for someone's birthday.
LL

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:49am
post #12 of 20

thank you, maladymay! I"ve really enjoyed using the edible markers, but I still want to learn to use icing. If I ever get some free time, I'll practice!

I love the Pokemon cookies... you are so talented!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:18am
post #13 of 20

Wait a minute! I've never heard of a kopykake! Off to look up more info!
maladyma those cookies are awesome!

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 28 May 2010 , 6:22am
post #14 of 20

frankdiabetes and MariaK38 your cookie are awesome as well! Wow i definatley need to learn about this!

westbrook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
westbrook Posted 1 Jun 2010 , 8:28pm
post #15 of 20

Joann Fabric stores are now carrying another brand 'Cricut'

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat2064&PRODID=zprd_10021152a

they just had a sale for $299 so they will again in a month or two. I looked at the canon printer and they are running about $179.

I am thinking about buying a printer and projector. I only decorate for my grandchildren and now that the oldest is 5.. he wants spiderman cookies.

does any one have the projector or just using the printed sheets?

brook

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Jun 2010 , 8:33pm
post #16 of 20

I got the K1000 a few months ago and I'm still playing with it. I've been slammed with wedding cakes lately so I haven't had as much time to play as I would like. I love mine though. But I am still having trouble with shadows, but like I said I have to play with it. Sweetopia just did a fabulous tutorial on her site if anyone is interested. icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:22pm
post #17 of 20

I bought the 300XK and got it a week and a half ago, been dying to have one for 2 yrs. now........finally made enough money doing cakes to warrant the purchase and have been SO BUSY decorating cakes I haven't had a chance to even assemble the thing!!! Crazy how things work out!

Those cookies are all amazing.........does everyone just literally put the pic. on the projector and stick the cookie under and start piping? Or do you trace with edible marker first?

GeminiRJ Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:12pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

I bought the 300XK and got it a week and a half ago, been dying to have one for 2 yrs. now........finally made enough money doing cakes to warrant the purchase and have been SO BUSY decorating cakes I haven't had a chance to even assemble the thing!!! Crazy how things work out!

Those cookies are all amazing.........does everyone just literally put the pic. on the projector and stick the cookie under and start piping? Or do you trace with edible marker first?

I almost always trace the design onto the cookie, then decorate (like a paint-by-number). Some designs I'll do under the projector, but that's usually for things like lettering.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:15pm
post #19 of 20

thank you so much!

So are you flooding first, letting it set up and then tracing with details........or are you drawing right onto the cookie itself and then covering up your lines with the icing?

GeminiRJ Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:27pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

thank you so much!

So are you flooding first, letting it set up and then tracing with details........or are you drawing right onto the cookie itself and then covering up your lines with the icing?

I draw right on the cookie, then flood the areas one color at a time. As I mentioned earlier, think of your cookie as a paint-by-number picture. You add the lines, then "paint" by filling in with icing. My last step is to outline with black. Note: many times I will draw the design on the cookie, then flood the entire cookie white (when using this as my background color, like the "Bloom" cookies I posted). I can still see the lines under the glace. Then, I'll flood the areas like before. I think you get a smoother look this way. Just depends on the design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%