Can I Freeze Cupcakes?

Baking By domesticakes Updated 25 May 2010 , 3:02am by domesticakes

domesticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domesticakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #1 of 3

I used a cupcake recipe for chocolate cupcakes out of the "Hello, Cupcake!" book. I froze them for a few days with no icing so I coud work with them and not worry about them being "old". I also put some in the fridge with frosting and some in the freezer with frosting. (I'm just learning and going through trial/error) Those turned out great.
The ones I froze without frosting, I took out of the freezer this morning and frosted this evening. They seemed to have shrunk and the loining pulled away from them. And they were so dry I could hardly swallow them. Was it the freezing, or could it be something else?

2 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:47am
post #2 of 3

How did you freeze them? How did you thaw them?

When freezing cupcakes I first make sure they are completely cool and then freeze for about 20-30 minutes on a cookie sheet. Once partially frozen i put them in ziplock bags and label.

When thawing them out I take them OUT of the bag and put on a stackable cooling rack, leaving the top rack empty i cover with a flour sack towel (or plastic wrap would work too) so that nothing is touching the cupcakes but they still get a little airflow and somewhere for themoisture to evaporate. If you let them thaw in the bags the moisture doesn't have anywhere to go and cause issues with the liners coming off of the cupcake.

domesticakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
domesticakes Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:02am
post #3 of 3

Thank you! That was very helpful as to why the liners came off. I put the BC I use on cakes on the really dry ones, and I'm thinking the frosting wasn't creamy enough for them. The first ones that were fine actually had a BC I got out of the cupcake book.
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%