Making "liquid" In A Glass

Decorating By MiriamG Updated 28 May 2010 , 12:50am by MiriamG

MiriamG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiriamG Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:58am
post #1 of 16

I'm making a cake with a whiskey bottle on it, and wanted to put a glass next to it that looks like it has ice and whiskey in it.

I figured I can make the ice cubes with cooked sugar, but not sure how to do the "liquid" part. Anyone have a suggestion? I'm open to having the glass upright, or laying on its side with the drink spilling out.

TIA for your suggestions!

15 replies
mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:11am
post #2 of 16

piping gel? only thing I can think of

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:19am
post #3 of 16

i would say to use the isomalt to make the liquid also. Tint it of course.

MiriamG Posted 25 May 2010 , 3:39am
post #4 of 16

Thanks for the feedback. Does Piping Gel harden if left out, or does it stay viscous?

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:23am
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiriamG

Thanks for the feedback. Does Piping Gel harden if left out, or does it stay viscous?

It does not harden, but it looks very liquid like. I have used it for coffee and hot choc. I think isomalt would work great too! Piping gel is a lot simpler, however.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:50pm
post #6 of 16

If the glass is upright, you can use tinted gelatin. If it's spilling out, then piping gel.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1080403

MiriamG Posted 25 May 2010 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks everyone! I think i'm going to try the piping gel route this time, mainly b/c it sounds easier icon_biggrin.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:04am
post #8 of 16

I used non flavored gelatin to make a liquid martini. Color and let set. You can also use a straw and blow bubbles in the gelatin before it sets.

sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:07am
post #9 of 16

Couldn't get the picture to attach so I added to my photos.

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 27 May 2010 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 16

Sweettreat 101 will the gelatin harden without being put in the fridge? I ask because I want to pour a liquid looking substance in an isomalt sugar glass made from a mold and I know that the glass itself can't be put in the fridge or it will melt from the humidity.

Thanks.

respectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
respectablecakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 4:58pm
post #11 of 16

i have used clear cornsyrup and sugar color the the liquid and heat it put it in a galss ur size ur putting on the cake after it hardens just put it in the glass on the cake.

MiriamG Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 16

Thanks again for all the great tips. I don't think I have time to make a glass out of sugar. I may have to "cheat" and use a real glass.. Also, I don't have a mold to make a glass.

Anyone have a quick and easy way to make the actual glass out of sugar too, without a mold?

respectablecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
respectablecakes Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:06pm
post #13 of 16

actually it matters how much time u have amazing mold putty for 20.00 at hobby lobby 30 mins to dry then pour the sugar and keep it moving in the mold so it will build up and let it set over night it should be done

sweettreat101 Posted 27 May 2010 , 8:50pm
post #14 of 16

I used less water to gelatin ratio. You can find a product at Michael called Amazing mold putty if you want to make your own glass. Do a search online for printable Michaels coupons and you can get 40% off. After the discount I only paid 12.99. I have made three molds out of one pack. They keep it on the isle with the plaster and paint section. I called three stores and all three told me that they didn't carry it. I had to find it myself. The glass I used was a mini martini shot glass that I purchased at Beverages and More. They were only .99 so I bought everything on the shelf.

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:36pm
post #15 of 16

I just got the amazing putty at Hobby Lobby and the two stores I visited only had two boxes total. I don't think it's enough to cover a Jack Daniels bottle. I will experiment on a shot glass first plus the directions don't seem to promising. They say to work fast when mixing and also when applying over the object and not to have any creases so that's a lot to accomplish within a few minutes - hopefully it doesn't set as fast as it claims to.

MiriamG Posted 28 May 2010 , 12:50am
post #16 of 16

Wow, very neat product! I'm going to venture out to my local Michael's tomorrow to see if they have it. And thanks for the tip on the coupon! I'm also thinking it's a very cost effective way of making your own impression mats and molds. The ones for purchase are very expensive.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%