Cake Cutting Instructions With Delivery

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 25 May 2010 , 12:37am by indydebi

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 5

I always print out Indydebi's cake cutting guide for every wedding cake I drop off, but I was wondering do you all provide instructions for your other cakes? I had a shower cake this weekend and my customer said she had a hard time cutting through the fondant..she said the cake would "squish" when she cut the cake icon_confused.gif I asked her if she used a non-serrated knife and she did, maybe I should have shown her how to cut the cake??? What do you all suggest? Thanks thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 5

I provide a form with my contact details in case of any questions (and BE there to answer the phone if they call!), diagrams of how to separate & portion each tier for the correct amount/size of servings they have requested. I count the number of wooden dowels I have inserted into each tier and direct them to remove them before slicing.

I describe the flavour of each tier and list basic ingredients for each one that they have.

I add that we do not have a nut-free guarantee.

I let them know if I've added anything to the cake that is NOT edible. (Ribbons, figurines, fresh flowers, etc)

I also add little tips like how to store it properly/how to remove it safely from the box/do not display in direct hot sunlight or next to sunny window, etc.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 24 May 2010 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Antonia thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:31am
post #4 of 5

In my step by step photos, there's is one pic that shows how I lay the 2" strip on it's side. When on it's side, the cake doesn't squish when being cut (because the knife goes thru the cake-side easily and isn't fighting to get thru the top layer of fondant first).

If they follow the pics exactly, there should be no squishing.

Add'l Story: I was cutting the cake made by another baker and she had (in my ever so never humble opinion) way too much filling it in. the top and bottom layers were sliding all over the place as I tried to cut this (buttercream iced) cake. When I decided to flip the 2" strip on it's side, the pieces stopped sliding around. My helper commented that the pieces "..... are looking much neater since you started doing that!"

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 May 2010 , 12:37am
post #5 of 5

Oh gosh, I just realized she might be squishing the cake when she's cutting the 2" strip, in which case my above post would be pretty much useless! icon_redface.gif I would suggest they draw the knife thru the cake, from one side to the other, rather than placing the knife on top of the cake and pushing down.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%