Have Trouble With Red And Black Icing

Baking By carolinakids3 Updated 24 May 2010 , 6:52pm by tiggy2

carolinakids3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinakids3 Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have never been able to make true red or black icing.
I have tryed starting with pink and adding red and no taste red icing, i always end up with pink.
and with black i start with choclate and add black with no luck it looks brown or grey.
i have tryed adding more red or black and it will get so soft i cant pipe it.
please help me.
Tammy

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 6

What brand are you using?....Wilton requires way more color paste to get a true red or black..almost the whole bottle..Try Americolor or chefmaster brand gel squirt bottles and you will find you need less.

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 6

I was always told that those color develope over time. Make them a few days in advance and your red should deepen.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 6

Americolor gels work best I think. And yes, let it develop over time as well. I can't imagine chocolate icing getting grayer after putting in black. You really do need to add more black i suppose. One thing to remember if you're not already doing it...make sure these colors are used as your last couple of layers over your butter cream so that no one will leave with funky looking teeth and tongues! It also helps to have that bigger layer of plain butter cream if your colored butter cream has a funny 'food color' taste. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 6

If your icing is getting too thin, make it stiffer to start with using less liquid. Americolor is much nicer product if you can get your hands on it. I have less trouble with bleeding too.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 6

Chefmaster colors work the best. No waiting for it to intensify and you use very little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%