Cricut, To Buy Or Not To Buy....

Decorating By Malakin Updated 24 May 2010 , 8:26pm by catlharper

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 6

I know this topic has been discussed on here before, but when I did a search, it showed error 404 - not found,
So....I went to Michael's and they were doing a demo for the new stainless steel Cricut for cakes. Very, very pricey, $399.00 plus tax and approximately $89.00 for the cartridges.
My question is have you guys had very good success just using your regular Cricut for scrapbooking with the gumpaste or fondant to put on the cakes? Or do I need to sink a fortune into the new stainless steel one on the market???
And for goodness sakes, how easy it is to use?

5 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 6

I guess the answer is how much do you think you will use it for your cakes and then decide if the price is worth it..I chose not to buy one because I just don't think I will use it enough to justify the price..They are almost $500.00 here in Canada.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 6

I have one and frankly I don't use it. Well, I have the Expressions. Since I now know more about ProvoCraft as a company, I'm very sorry to have given them my money.

If you want a cutting machine, you might look at some of the competitor's models.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 24 May 2010 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, I think I will check some others out. I only do this for a hobby but hate having to cut out letters and such. My granddaughter has a birthday coming up and loves Tinkerbell so I'd probably wouldn't use it much more than that.

brooklyncaillouet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brooklyncaillouet Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 6

The silhouette is an electronic cutter and a lot of people use it. I learned about the print and cut feature from Linda McClure and I got one just for that. I use my regular cricut for my designs, but I can now print a picture on gum paste and the silhouette will cut it out. I love this feature, especially when cutting out a really intricate picture.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 May 2010 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 6

Well, I'm a caker and a scrapbooker and an event coordinator so I'm going to be using mine all the time. I just bought the bundle on HSN and am thrilled with it. Like you, I hate cutting out the lettering and this makes it so easy. It did take some working out to find the right combo of stiffness/thickness for the fondant sheet but once I found the right combo it's been easy. I bought extra blades and matts so I can use it for non food items and keep the food items seperate. For all the money I spend on alphabet stickers and die cuts I will will make up for with the Cricut. So, yes, as the others have said, if you see yourself using this all the time then it's worth the money but if not then it's just an expensive paperweight. The other thing to realize is that while, technically, this is a tool...in reality it's a toy. And just like the Xbox or PS3, if you use it all the time then it's worth the money but if it just sits there and is used once or twice then, nope, not worth it. HTH Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%