Banana Nutella Cake? Need Thoughts

Decorating By Leah1974 Updated 26 May 2010 , 3:53am by Leah1974

Leah1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leah1974 Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #1 of 12

Hi all! So I have been trying to figure out what kind of cake to make for my hubby's upcoming bday. I ran across someone's filling suggestion to add nutella to store whipped white frosting and it got me thinking of banana nutella crepes.

i have never put fruit in cake...

so--thoughts?

my initial thought is french vanilla cake (like the crepe), layer of nutella frosting, layer of banana, layer of frosting, next tier.

chocolate cake? banana in both layers of filling?

thanks!

11 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 12

Holy crap, that sounds good! icon_smile.gif

Do you mean three layers of filling between four layers of cake? Or two layers of filling between three layers of cake? I can't quite figure where the 'layer of frosting' goes.

Personally, I'd lay the banana slices on the Nutella for two layers of filling with a vanilla buttercream as the center filling layer. I'd cut the banana fairly thin since it will be in two layers.

If you decide to put the banana in a layer by itself, you'll need a custard or even just buttercream (flavored with a shot of banana liqueur!).

I'm always partial to chocolate cake, so take that for what it's worth. icon_smile.gif

Leah1974 Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:08am
post #3 of 12

Thanks Diane!

I re read and i guess that was confusing...so it will be 3 layers of cake, 2 fillings. Having never used fruit before, I didn't know if I needed to "sandwich" the banana inbetween the nutella frosting...so cake, thin nutella, thin bananas, thin nutella (that would all be one filling "layer", cake, filling layer, cake.

so, based on your comment, would you only do one layer of the nutella with bananas and then a layer of just buttercream (i love your idea for a 4-layer...nutella, buttercream, nutella)? do you think 2 layers would be too much (of nutella and banana)? and, in your opinion, do you have to have frosting between the cake and bananas? (meaning, does, cake layer, nutella, banana, cake layer work or is it better to do cake layer, nutella, banana, nutella, cake layer?)

Can you tell I'm new to this? LoL! Bet you're sorry that you responded to this post! icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 12

If I were doing two layers of filling, I'd do both nutella and banana. Just a thin smear of nutella, then a thin layer of bananas. I honestly don't know if it would be necessary to sandwich the banana between the nutella, but I can't see how it would be a bad thing. icon_smile.gif Just smear nutella on the bottom of the next layer.

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

If I were doing two layers of filling, I'd do both nutella and banana. Just a thin smear of nutella, then a thin layer of bananas. I honestly don't know if it would be necessary to sandwich the banana between the nutella, but I can't see how it would be a bad thing. icon_smile.gif Just smear nutella on the bottom of the next layer.

Ditto, and wow - this sounds like such a delicious combination thumbs_up.gif !

Be sure to use an icing dam so the bananas won't slip out.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 12

if your worried about using fresh fruit you could always flavor the cake banana with instant pudding and just fill with the nutella and do a chocolate buttercream on the out side

Jenteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenteach Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 12

That sounds delicious. I would also be tempted to pour a bit of lemon juice on the bananas before you put them in as they brown quite quickly..... If you make it, make sure you let us know how it goes.

Jen

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 25 May 2010 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 12

why couldn't you just use a banana bread recipe in your cake pans? that way the banana's would be cooked so no worry about them browning or sliding. I would think banana bread would be good for carving also.

DianeLM Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 12

Bananas brown when exposed to air. They'll retain their color sealed inside the cake.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #10 of 12

Hang on, I need to wipe the drool off my chin...

All these combos sound so good, but my first instinct was to go with a banana chocolate chip cake frosted with nutella buttercream. And like other posters said, you won't have to worry about sliding or browning or anything.

Though, I'm sure whatever way you go, it will be delicious!! let us know what you end up with icon_biggrin.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 12

I am completely stuffed from eating lunch but if I had a piece of this in front of me, I'd STILL eat! LOL YUM

Leah1974 Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:53am
post #12 of 12

thanks for all of the suggestions ladies! I'll let you know how it turns out and I'll post pics!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%