Help Me Decide What Size Square Pan(S) To Buy?

Decorating By kathik Updated 24 May 2010 , 12:55am by tesso

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 6

I am just a hobby baker for now and as silly as it sounds I don't own a single square pan! I want to make a gift box cake for a friend next month and it's a great excuse for me to buy a couple of square pans.

So what sizes do you use most? Are your pans 2" or 3" high? I think I want the 3" high, but would like to hear opinions on why or why not.

Thanks,
Kathi

5 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 6

if you are just keeping it a hobby and want economical, use the wilton pan set. I have them and actually have used them alot. Are they the best, no, do they work, yes. I have the 2" high pans. I didnt want the 3" because in my personal experience the corners just droop too much and can give the cake a bowed effect look. kind of like the corners are slouching.

a hint for you. Make sure you add an extra touch of crisco and flour in the corners of you pans. THere is nothing worse then a hunk of corner coming off your cake because there wasnt enough lube to keep it from sticking. icon_biggrin.gif

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Tesso. I hope to restart my business at some point so I want to invest in some good pans. I was looking at the Fat Daddio pans since I have heard such good things about them. So is it the Wilton Pans or all 3" pans that seem to give the bowed effect?

Thanks for the tip about the corners, too! I wouldn't have thought about that...until it happened!

Kathi

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 6

I have the magic line 2 inch deep pans and I love them. I use homemade pan grease and pay extra attention to the corners as mentioned. To me what you want to think about is size and servings. Are most of your orders for 12 people or more. I have the 6 in square and the 9 inch square. I wish I had bought the 8 instead of the 9 because rarely do I need that much cake but that said one cool trick I learned on here. I can make a 12x12 sq by baking 4 6x6 cakes and icing them as a single layer. I only have 1 3 inch deep pan and I should throw it away. I never use it.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 6

my choice would be 6" 8" 9" 10" 12" & 14" if you want to know sizes. I use 9" the most for individual sq cakes, and 6 9 12 for stacked, sometimes 6,8,10. I would suggest Magic line, i also like 3" pan but 2" would be good too.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 24 May 2010 , 12:55am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathik

Thanks Tesso. I hope to restart my business at some point so I want to invest in some good pans. I was looking at the Fat Daddio pans since I have heard such good things about them. So is it the Wilton Pans or all 3" pans that seem to give the bowed effect?

Thanks for the tip about the corners, too! I wouldn't have thought about that...until it happened!

Kathi

I have only used the wilton ones, but a friend had some squares and hers did it too. I dont know the brand she used, but they were expensive and heavy but still had the slouch look on the corners. IF anyone knows how to prevent that, I am all ears and eyes !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%