Marzipan Covering - Help Please

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 3 Jun 2015 , 1:48am by carolinecakes

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 11:13am
post #1 of 7

Hi - Hopefully one of the experts from 'across the pond' will be able to help me with this (or anyone else!). We have a bride who ordered a 5-tier cake (13, 11, 9, 7, 5" tiers / round) and has requested to have her cake coverd in marzipan then fondant.

My questions are:
1) I've seen two different ways of covering the cake in marzipan. First, where the top of the cake is covered and cut to fit, then the marzpian is wrapped around the side of the cake and top edges are smoothed; second way is the marzipan was applied over the top of the cake much as one would do with fondant. Are there pros or cons to either? We will be using apricot jam (seived) to make the marzipan stick to the cake.
2) Do I also apply the apricot jam to the marzipan and prior to the fondant application, or will the fondant stick directly to the marzipan?
3) I've calculated that I need 15 lbs of marzipan for the sizes listed above. Does this sound right!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

6 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:03pm
post #2 of 7

Hey Snowshoe!

1, The traditional way of covering the top, and sides separate is normally only used when covering the cake with Royal icing, Not fondant. This is because traditionally, you would cover the sides in royal, leave to dry, Then the top, leave to dry and then go back over the sides, Very time consuming and messy!

When i do fruit cakes covered with marzipan, I do it one entire sheet just like i would fondant. Using two smoothers will help you gain a nice edge.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1637543 I did this cake, Using the 'one full sheet' method!

2. No you dont need to use jam, just use a tiny bit of water brushed over the the entire marzipan surface( Not so much to make it wet, just tacky ) I do this using a lightly dampened pastry brush!

3. The scale i use is :
6" cake  1lb 500g
7" cake 1.5lbs 750g
8" cake 2lbs 1kg
9" cake 2.5lbs 1kg 250g
10" cake 3lbs 1kg 500g
11" cake 3.5lbs 1kg 750g
12" cake 4lbs 2kg

This is on a basis of rolling the marzipan a quarter of an inch thick.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:07pm
post #3 of 7

1) Cover using the same method as with fondant, unless you are tying to create a sharp edge. I've seen the first method used when looking to create a sharp edge (usually for a royal icing covering, or with a very tall column.)

2) Very lightly brush the apricot preserves on the marzipan. You will need something for the fondant to stick to. (I use piping gel as I don't care for apricot flavor.) Note: You usually want to have the marzipan set for a day before putting on the fondant.

3) Use the same calculation as you do for fondant to determine your amounts.

What type of cake are you using? I am assuming a fruit cake, as it is what is normally covered with marzipan and what can support the weight of both marzipan and fondant.

You'll need to use small bits of marzpian to plug any holes in top/sides of your cake to create a smooth surface for the marzipan. (Any English cake decorating book that discusses marzipan will probably show you a pic of what I mean.) Smooth the marzipan with smoothers exactly as with fondant.

Also, knead the marzipan until pliable, but be careful not to over-knead it! If the oil starts separating out of it, you are kneading it too much.

snowshoe1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 7

Excellent advice from both of you! Thank you so much for your quick responses.

I'm really looking forward to doing this cake as it is out of our 'normal' procedure. The bride loves marzipan and hopefully most of her guests will feel the same way. In the past I've only mixed marzipan with fondant, but her cake needs to be pure white.

We are using a very dense almond cake (which also needs to be dairy-free (ugh...)), but I guess I should run a test to make sure it will support the weight and perhaps I could also roll the marzipan even thinner (?).

Cheers!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:49pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, i would suggest doing a trial as usually the marzipan and fondant are for fruit cakes which are very heavy and solid!

I dont leave the marzipan too long to dry out, otherwise its too dry, i give it an hour or two just to form a shell, just being careful not to dint the marzipan or anything icon_smile.gif

You can try rolling the marzipan thinner than suggested, But too thin and you may have trouble with tearing icon_smile.gif x

snowshoe1 Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks again! This should be a great learning experience.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 3 Jun 2015 , 1:48am
post #7 of 7

I see its an old post but thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%