Covering Dummy Cake With Fondant

Decorating By babsey Updated 24 May 2010 , 4:33am by Rylan

babsey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babsey Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:54am
post #1 of 8

Just wondering how to cover 2 dummy tiers of a 4 tier wedding cake. Any tips? Also wondering how far in advance this can be done before the wedding?

7 replies
Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 23 May 2010 , 9:10am
post #2 of 8

If the edge of the dummy is sharp I soften them by using pressure on the corners with my fondant smoother. This helps prevent the dummy from making the fondant break easily on the edges.
Use a thin layer of gel on the dummy, that will make the fondant stick. These can be done way ahead of time, you want the fondant to harden on the dummy. If you make it ahead of time keep it out of the light if you have colored it, light bleaches the colors.

MissJodi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJodi Posted 23 May 2010 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 8

I am covering my first display dummy cakes, using gel to secure the fondant, but how long should I expect it to last? In a climate control roomed ie: i have head for winter and air conditioning for summer, and I will not have it in direct sunlight. Is there anyway I can seal it with a enamal sealer etc?

Jcake2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jcake2 Posted 23 May 2010 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 8

What is the Gel? I am covering a styrafoam ball with molding Chocolate. WIll this Gel work for it too?

I need the Chocolate to stick to the styrafoam.

MissJodi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJodi Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 8

It is piping gel. dried very tacky etc and shouldnt mold underneath, like some. I know somepeople actually use or have used stucko or similar, really anything the consistancy that dries should work on something that is not to be eaten but displayed, but if you are wanting it edible use pipling gel

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:09pm
post #6 of 8

I apply a thin coat of crisco on my cake dummies before covering with fondant. It makes it easier to remove it later on. If it's not going to be recycled then I don't guess that really matters. I've used piping gel before but it was difficult to remove the fondant when I wanted to do another design.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJodi

I am covering my first display dummy cakes, using gel to secure the fondant, but how long should I expect it to last? In a climate control roomed ie: i have head for winter and air conditioning for summer, and I will not have it in direct sunlight. Is there anyway I can seal it with a enamal sealer etc?

I have dummies that have been decorated for at least 2 years. Kept out of sunlight in a climate controlled room, I think they'll last forever.

I can't think of any sealer you could use on them that wouldn't melt or pit the fondant, or yellow/crack over time.

Rae

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 May 2010 , 4:33am
post #8 of 8

I prefer to use shortening to adhere the fondant too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%