Fondant Bows.. Need Help

Decorating By winny01 Updated 23 May 2010 , 1:55pm by mamawrobin

winny01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winny01 Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 8

What is the best kind of fondant to use for bows? I made a fondant bow before using Wiltons fondant and it hardened nice. I have been making mmf and made loops for the bow. I let it sit on my counter for 24 hours and it still did not get really firm and flattened as soon as I put it on the cake. Will adding gum tex help firm mmf? Thanks.

7 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 8

I add Tylose to MM fondant. It works like a charm. I made a MM fondant hi heel and only had one day for it to dry. It was fine. The only thing with Tylose is you need to work fast because it drys quickly. I cut out my strips fold and used plastic wrap between the loops until they dried. Place your bows in the oven with the oven light on it will help them dry faster.

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 22 May 2010 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 8

Would Tylose work in Rolled buttercream as well?! I've never used to before.. but like the OP I tried to make a bow form rolled BC and it didnt dry.. hmm worth a shot of trying it out i guess........

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 8

Adding tylose does not work for me. I don't know if it's a humidity issuse or what but even after 5 days the loops will not be dry. I always use Wilton fondant for my bows. It just works the best for me. I usually mix gumpaste with fondat so that I can roll it thin as paper.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:00am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyankee5688

Would Tylose work in Rolled buttercream as well?! I've never used to before.. but like the OP I tried to make a bow form rolled BC and it didnt dry.. hmm worth a shot of trying it out i guess........

No, adding tylose won't help with RBC

With the amount of fat in RBC, it really can't be rolled too thin and there's just nothing that will make it stiffen up like gum paste or fondant.

You can do some flowers with it and they'll dry if they sit around for 3-4 days, but I'd never try to make a bow of any size.

Rae

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 23 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 8

I prefer adding tylose to my fondant, gumpaste takes color a bit differently the fondant therefore matching colors can be a bit tricky sometimes. By adding tylose directly to my colored fondant I get a perfect match every time.
It dries quickly and hard.
I roll it on a 2 on the pasta roller (2nd to thinnest setting),they dry hard enough to remove the cotton ball supports within a few hours.

winny01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winny01 Posted 23 May 2010 , 10:27am
post #7 of 8

This is a dumb question.. what is tylose? Is it a powder? I looked for it at michaels but couldnt find it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by winny01

This is a dumb question.. what is tylose? Is it a powder? I looked for it at michaels but couldnt find it.

Yes, it's a powder and I had to order on-line. I've never been able to find it in a store. Don't know that you can't, just know that I've never seen it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%