Copyright Infringment For A Contest?

Decorating By karenapple Updated 23 May 2010 , 1:51pm by karenapple

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 4

If I make a cake with many famous characters for a contest that's gonna happen during a very well known found raising event will that be a copyright infringement? I signed up in the amateur category.
I would like to make a sort of "famous" party cake with many of them in fondant modeling, but I don't want to get in trouble... also, we will be allowed to leave our business cards on the table. I haven't sold any cake at all yet and I wouldn't sell any with a famous character. But I want to know if in this case it could be a wrong thing and also, bad for my future reputation since I'm just starting.

3 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 4

Yes, the way I understand it, producing a copyrighted image without the copyright holders permission is copyright infringement. It doesn't matter why you are doing it at all.

I was told by someone in the copyright office that if I were to do a cake of a famous character, even for home use, and I also had a business I would open myself up for a lot of trouble - because they have no idea if you would sell them and won't just take your word for it.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 4

I wouldnt make anything that is a copywrited well known product, due to if nothing else, people seeing your work, getting your card and then asking you to make a .. say 'garfield' cake because you put garfield ON that cake. and then you having to explain that you cant do that. does that make sense?

as far as the rules, thats something you'd have to talk to them about...

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 4

Chellebyerly, I thought exactly the same, I didn't want anybody ordering a cake with a character because I used on that cake.
I wasn't sure if for charity would be considered infringement as well as for home use like bonniebakes said, that's why I asked here.
I definitely won't make it. I will choose another theme.
Thanks you guys!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%