Do I Have To Designate A Bowl To Mix

Decorating By sweetbaker Updated 1 Sep 2005 , 6:03pm by aunt-judy

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 14

gumpaste? I was going to use the same bowl I use to mix cake and icing but didn't know if I used it for gumpaste if then I would have to keep it just for gumpaste.

13 replies
nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 14

I have one particular bowl only for royal icing,-same with bags-others may tell you it doesn't matter. I just do it for my piece of mind-that way there if I goof up I can rule out what it wasn't!

sweetbaker Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 14

Good idea Nanni. Thanks.

nanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanni Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 14

Anything to help!

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 30 Aug 2005 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 14

depends. do you use porous bowls like plastic or wood? (and if so, why??? icon_eek.gif) if you're using non-porous bowls and tools, then cleaning them and maybe soaking them in some vinegar or lemon juice solution should be sufficent to remove any traces of grease or odours. if you're using stainless steel or glass and your bowls are very scratched-up, just be sure to scrub the scratches well.

a "gumpaste bowl" won't affect your cake batter, but a "cake batter or icing bowl" may affect the gumpaste if there are traces of fats/grease.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 5:27am
post #6 of 14

I am also a bowl seperator. I like to have seperate bowls for everything. My royal icing bowl is only used for that, Ihave a bowl for BC and a set for anything to do with cake only. I just feel better nkowing that each thing has it's own utensils.

Tanya

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 10:52am
post #7 of 14

I agree, I keep my bowls seperate. I even keep them seperate from all other bowls. I have space just for my "cake and icing" bowls. That way, they don't get mixed in with other household bowls.

Rose

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:09pm
post #8 of 14

ya know what....I think having more then one bowl is a great idea!!!! I have three! I have the pampered chef batter bowls and love them for the cakes and frostings I do.....I also have two handmixers one designated for each thing.....at least until I get my kitchenaid mixer this year!! then I guess I will have to have two different bowls then too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

sweetbaker Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 14

Thank you all. I mostly use this one large plastic bowl for mixing icing and cake batter. I will definitely purchase another bowl just for gumpaste. It will be my first time working with it so wish me luck!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 14

Lots of luck to ya!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 31 Aug 2005 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 14

I use the same bowls interchanged for everything, and I have never had a problem. Properly washed bowls (not plastic) will not impact royal in a negative way.

Gum paste is not particularly sensitive to any residual grease. you normally use a bit of crisco on your hands to work the paste anyway.

Daniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daniela Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 14

I use a different bowl for everything. I guess I'm scared that if I don't do that something will go wrong!! icon_lol.gif Maybe I have no guts!!!!

Daniela

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 5:38pm
post #13 of 14

I use glass/pyrex and metal bowls for all mixin's. I'm a freak about washing things so I know there's no residue on anything when I use my bowls. I do have seperate measuring cups and spoons for royal and color flow though. thumbs_up.gif

aunt-judy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aunt-judy Posted 1 Sep 2005 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 14

JoAnnB: good point about the crisco and gumpaste. i should have clarified that my concern about grease/fats residue was about off-odours or flavours, particularly with plastic, which does tend to retain grease and quickly becomes rancid-smelling, which can easily transfer to anything made in the bowl. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%