Ribbon

Decorating By anikahmae Updated 24 May 2010 , 3:06am by mamawrobin

anikahmae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anikahmae Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 10

I would like to use a ribbon on my cake, but unsure how. I would like to use it around the base of the cake. If any one has any advise on placing or tips. It would be greatly appriecated. Thanks!

9 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 10

If you're using ribbon on buttercream icing you need to put a layer of wax paper between your ribbon and your cake to avoid grease spots. I just cut the wax paper the exact size of my ribbon and put it around the cake first. After adding the ribbon the wax paper is hidden but acts as a shield.

Adding the wax paper when using real ribbon is something I do on any cake for safety issues. I use mostly fondant ribbon because it's food safe, real ribbon is not.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 10

If you are placing ribbon on a butter cream cake, i suggest double sided tape. I attach the ribbon on one side and leave the other side the way it is (glossy finish) and then attach the ribbon on to the cake. If its fondant small dots of double sided tape attached on to the ribbon

mamawrobin Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzied

If you are placing ribbon on a butter cream cake, i suggest double sided tape. I attach the ribbon on one side and leave the other side the way it is (glossy finish) and then attach the ribbon on to the cake. If its fondant small dots of double sided tape attached on to the ribbon

Is tape food safe?

suzied Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:08am
post #5 of 10

To answer yr question, i reallllllllllllllllllllllllllly dont know. (mamawrobin) the plastic part of the tape touches the cake. I have tried yr method, ribbon keeps moving, doesnt stay steady. Another way was with double sided tape to paste the ribbon on to one side and paste wax paper on to the other and place the ribbon round the cake. (glue with bc or ri)

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 10

I'm a bit confused... are you taping the ribbon to a strip of wax paper? or are you actually taping the ribbon directly to the cake surface?

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:41am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnmouse

I'm a bit confused... are you taping the ribbon to a strip of wax paper? or are you actually taping the ribbon directly to the cake surface?

Actually you'd be taping the doublesided tape to the ribbon and applying the wax paper to the other side of the tape. I'm an idiot icon_lol.gif I wan't thinking "double sided" tape. I was only thinking of taping "tape" to the back of the ribbon w/o using wax paper. Suzied actually has a briliant idea and it doesn't matter whether the double sided tape is food safe or not. None of it touches the cake... icon_smile.gif One side will be attached to the ribbon and the other to the wax paper. The wax paper is what will be touching your cake.

Great idea Suzied thumbs_up.gif

katnmouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katnmouse Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:54am
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the clarification...I was trying to figure out how in the world the tape could be used without the wax paper. icon_lol.gif

suzied Posted 24 May 2010 , 2:27am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnmouse

Thanks for the clarification...I was trying to figure out how in the world the tape could be used without the wax paper. icon_lol.gif

I did a bc cake lately using d/sided tape. on one side of the tape, i pasted the ribbon but the other side of the (d/s tape) i left it the way it was (it has a glossy plastic finish) and pressed it against the bc cake and with a bit of bc it did stay in place. I dont know whether this is food safe. just for yr info. would love to hear from an expert, whether this is safe to do so.

BTW mamawrobin thanks, another feather to my cap!!

mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 3:06am
post #10 of 10

You're welcome Suzied icon_biggrin.gif I love hearing of "new" ideas. Thank you. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%