Using Ganache On Cake?

Decorating By yums Updated 22 May 2010 , 2:26pm by sdgilliland

yums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yums Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 5

I have been reading all the new posts about ganache and it seems to be the new fade. I just don't really understand it. So from what I gather it hardens to a soft chocolate? And I also assume it can't be poured over buttercream? So all you're getting is cake with a thin layer of chocolate? Do people ask for this or it just something you do? I see people say they don't do fondant without it, but what if you don't want chocolate on the cake? I just don't understand all the ta da over this. Don't get me wrong I see how it could be good on special desserts or mini cakes but not an entire cake.

4 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 5

There is the poured ganache that is poured onto the cake- many people like the smooth look of it. I have never tried that. But the ganache instead of BC is great! It gives your cake a really smooth base underneath your fondant- better than most can get with BC and it is easy to work with. It has the consistency of peanut butter when you are applying it and dries hard. If you want nice, sharp corners on a square and struggle with BC, then ganache is the way to go!
But yes, you have to want chocolate. The thing I liked about it was that it wasnt too sweet. You can adjust according to the type of choc you use.
Check out this link - Rylan is a CCer and really explains it. He is also really great about answering questions.
http://www.artandappetite.com/2009/11/ganache-instead-of-buttercream/

Happy Baking icon_smile.gif

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 5

Personally, I've never found a chocolate buttercream that makes me squirm from happiness ... ganache does. It's almost straight-up chocolate, the consistency is wonderful for filling, and the taste is rich and not overly sweet. Also, when you use it for icing the cake, you don't have to have a "thin coat" at all ... you can make it just as thick as you would with your buttercream, just wait for the ganache to be spreadable instead of pourable.

If you don't want regular chocolate, you can always go with white chocolate icon_smile.gif.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Personally, I've never found a chocolate buttercream that makes me squirm from happiness ... ganache does. It's almost straight-up chocolate, the consistency is wonderful for filling, and the taste is rich and not overly sweet. Also, when you use it for icing the cake, you don't have to have a "thin coat" at all ... you can make it just as thick as you would with your buttercream, just wait for the ganache to be spreadable instead of pourable.

If you don't want regular chocolate, you can always go with white chocolate icon_smile.gif.

icon_biggrin.gif Couldn't have said it better. thumbs_up.gif

sdgilliland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdgilliland Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 5

I make a doberge cake that I ice with regular chocolate BC, refrig, then pour ganache over. Yum yum. I also love to ice with ganache when covering with fondant. As a PP said, it makes great sharp corners and is firmer than BC so you can work your fondant over it smoooooth. LOVE IT! I just make sure the person ordering is OK with ganache...most ppl don't have a problem with it lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%