Wedding Cake Makers.......or Anyone Who Can Help

Decorating By fabbo Updated 22 May 2010 , 5:54am by CWR41

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:03am
post #1 of 4

What is the easiest way to cover the 14in and 16in in fondant? My mat isn't big enough to just flip over the rolled out fondant. I have a wedding cake due tomorrow @4. I'm having one of those nights where nothing is going right with my Satin Ice. It was raining earlier so I turned on my central air to get rid of humidity. Then my fondant seems dry no matter what I do. I keep having cracks and tears! I'm about to cry (I hate the big cakes). Any ideas?

3 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:14am
post #2 of 4

I've seen the cakers on TV competitions roll huge circles of fondant onto a long rolling pin or long piece of PVC pipe, then unroll it across the big cake tier. You have something like that on hand?

fabbo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabbo Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:26am
post #3 of 4

I tried something like that. My problem was that when I unrolled it I had those roll marks in my fondant even with powdered sugar or crisco.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:54am
post #4 of 4

Do you have a 24" cake circle? You could roll fondant out on that (dusted with plently of cornstarch or powdered sugar), jiggle/shake the circle as you go to make sure it isn't sticking, then slide the fondant off the cardboard directly onto your cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%