Trans Fat Shortening Question

Baking By ctinaw Updated 2 Jun 2010 , 12:33am by Debbie1957

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:01am
post #1 of 13

Hi all! Would someone be able to explain - in technical terms - why it is important to use a shortening with trans fats rather than without? Be as specific as possible if you could - I'm just trying to understand the chemistry. Thanks!

12 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:54am
post #2 of 13

use the shortening for what? pastry? cakes? icing? deep frying?

ctinaw Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:56am
post #3 of 13

For frosting, sorry icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:27am
post #4 of 13

I think some of it depends on the recipe. For example, when many MANY cc'ers were involved in a HUGE thread about how their icing wasn't working; they were calling/emails the crisco people to complain; big problems all the way around ..... I was sitting back and asking, "What? What? What happened? There's a problem? no kidding?" icon_confused.gif My recipe was working just fine .... I never noticed a diff at all. I didn't even notice that crisco had changed the formula and wasn't TOO aware of the big trans-fat debate going on.

When i shared my recipe, many came back with rave reviews about how the icing worked again. My recipe has dream whip in it but why it works, I've no idea.

that's why I say it may be the recipe. A recipe w/o my dream whip may not work with the zero trans fat. My recipe WITH the dream whip does. Why? no idea. I just go with it! thumbs_up.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 13

I'm not sure, either. I do know that my preferred store brand of shortening seems to have changed recently and this was confirmed by another CCer. It's softer coming out of the tub, I have to add a lot less liquid, and it doesn't smooth or crust as easily as it did before. With summer around the corner and no central air, I just picked up some high ratio yesterday to try to get a jump start on the heat and humidity that comes with it. In the meantime, I have a box of Dream Whip in the pantry just in case.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 13

I don't understand the chemistry either, but I use the wilton recipe with 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. When Crisco dropped all of the TransFat I ended up having to go to store brands (which don't have as much transfat as what crisco used to have, but they at least have some). I also had to reduce my liquid (which took me quite a few batches to figure out the exact amount)

Like others, not sure what the transfat does, but i know it made my icing WAY to soft and it wouldn't crust for me either.

ctinaw Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 13

Hmmm ok. I've wanted to try your recipe indydebi, but haven't come across any dream whip in my local grocery stores. Perhaps Wal-Mart.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinaw

Hmmm ok. I've wanted to try your recipe indydebi, but haven't come across any dream whip in my local grocery stores. Perhaps Wal-Mart.

Yes, Wal-Mart carries it and it's cheaper there of course.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:42pm
post #9 of 13

Look on the higher shelf for it. I wouldn't want you to miss it. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 13

And for the record I used store brand wannabe Dream Whip and it worked fine.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 May 2010 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

And for the record I used store brand wannabe Dream Whip and it worked fine.

I have looked for the "wannabe" Dream Whip and have never found any. I'm all about saving money if it works just as good. My Wal-Mart only carries the real thing.

foodguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foodguy Posted 24 May 2010 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 13

Not that I make icing in the amounts that you folks do any longer, but I tried Indydeb's icing and loved it. Now, maybe a year since I first tried it, we are no longer able to find Dream Whip locally-Walmart nor our local markets carry it or a generic type.

I went back to the "cut down" recipe that I used at the bakery with meringue powder blended into Sweetex until smooth, then adding hot water, flavors, salt and after thats incorporated into the shortening I add the conf. sugar and mix for 10 min.,

Debbie1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbie1957 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #13 of 13

Just this evening I opened a new tub of Aldi shortening, which I switched to after Crisco removed the transfats. Low and behold, it was WAY too soft coming out of the tub. Looked at the label, sure enough, they have removed the transfat. I'm afraid my frosting will start pooling on the board and sliding off the cake sides again.....why can't they leave well enough alone?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%