Bubble Balloons In Fondant

Decorating By CupcakesUnderCover Updated 25 May 2010 , 1:56pm by MissRobin

CupcakesUnderCover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakesUnderCover Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

This happend to me 2x now, and I'm not entirely why.

I cover and decorate my cakes. Put them in a box. And go to bed.

Then in the AM, I wake to find a balloon pretuding from the side of my cake. The fondant has cracked open with a huge bubble.

At this point the fondant has hardened somewhat so I can to recovery by added a decoration to hide the crack and I do my best to push back the fondant.

Any ideas on why this happens? Is this the result of a missed air bubble?

4 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 5

I notice that I was getting airbubbles when I slightly misted my cake with water to get the fondant to stick to it. I think it has something to do with the condensation. I have now switched to using everclear alcohol to attach my fondant, and the difference has been phenominal !! It evaporates so fast, that condesation is no longer a problem and the air bubbles have gone back to He** where they belong !! icon_lol.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:19am
post #3 of 5

There are a few things going on here..do you fill and crumbcoat your cake and then let it rest for several hours so it can settle? Do you refrigerate your cake before filling/crumbcoating? Too cold of a cake can lead to gas bubbles as can covering a cake with fondant before it's had a chance to settle. I bake, cool, torte, wrap and freeze over night. Then when I remove it from the freezer I fill and crumbcoat and then let my cake settle for at least two hours..this allows any filling buldges to sploosh out (and lets me fix them) and it allows the cake to come to room temp so it's not chilled when I cover it with fondant. The only time I've had bubbles is when I've rushed the settling process. HTH. Cat

CupcakesUnderCover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakesUnderCover Posted 25 May 2010 , 4:22am
post #4 of 5

In this particular case I bake, cooled, cover with bc and let in rest over night in the fridge. the next day I cleaned up the bc and covered it with fondant. As I'm writting this I thing my problem is perhaps I didn't allow the cake to cool thoroughly before covering it was bc.

The other time this happened, I believe I did the same thing.

Normally I bake, cool and place in the fridge, then bc the following day. In this cases I bake and covered within a matter of a couple of hours.

I think it could be covering with bc within only 1.5 hr of cooling might be the problem. As you mentioned not letting it rest. I will keep track of my methods to help trouble this issue. Its only happened 2x but 2x too many!

Thanks all!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 5

I have been having this problem alot lately?? Hmmm, I wonder if the water IS the problem. I dampen my buttercream with water before applying fondant, maybe that's my problem. I give my cakes plenty of time to settle, so I know that is not the problem. I was thinking maybe I wasn't putting enough filling, all the way to the top of my dam, and possibly that was causing problems, I really don't know. I sure would like the answer though, it's driving me crazy, I don't get it. I have gone a year without it happening, and all of the sudden, I have had it happen on the last 3 cakes. The bubble are huge and crack open, causing real problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%