is called to order.

Who's up?

Whatcha workin' on?

54 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 55

From Rose_N_Crantz:

Last night when I left we had 63 orders for Friday, since I wasn't scheduled until 1pm, I was a little nervous about what state I would find the case and orders in. We'll see how that goes. No idea yet how many orders for Saturday, but I'm only scheduled 6am to 11:30am. Shocked I'm sure I'll be asked to stay later but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

I'm also doing a couple 8" rounds for a church auction. The student ministry group is going to our sister church, Central Inglesias (sp?), in the Dominican Republic and the auction is one of many fundraising events. I've done a couple cakes for people from church and when I emailed my contribution to the auction coordinator (someone I've never met) he replied with "cakes would be great! I've heard lots of great things about your baking skills! Can't wait!" yay! Hopefully they'll bring in a good amount. One cake is vanilla, the other chocolate, both will be decorated with a fondant loopy bow and dots. It was my first time making the fondant loopy bow as it's instructed in the article here. I'm not entirely happy with how it turned out, you can still see some royal icing where I joined them, but I think the audience will appreciate it.

Thanks for passing this on Leah_s. My first time that I'm actually proud of something I'm doing that I can contribute to the cake club! ttyl!

Rose

leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #3 of 55

I've got one three tier wedding cake done, need to put a few decos on the other three tier and make one more gp flower.

Had two little cakes picked up earlier today.

Then need to prep one 4 tier for tomorrow.

And repack and put away all my candy buffet stuff.

And talk to all of you lovelies.

While watching Ocean's 12.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 55

you queen of multi-tasking...

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:38am
post #5 of 55

Watching Hockey while waiting for my buttercream to crust up. Only one cake tonight, a small 8in birthday cake. Next weekend is my big one so I'm enjoying a little time off.

CaKKes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaKKes Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:47am
post #6 of 55

making my own birthday cake..is that sad??

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:48am
post #7 of 55

No, not sad...if my daughter wasn't a caker I would have to make mine every year too.

cakecraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraft Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:48am
post #8 of 55

I'm eating chocolate cake scraps with peanut butter ice cream....lol. I hardly ever eat cake, just the constant baking & decorating is a bit offputting.... but I am very much enjoying it tonight!!!

I only had one birthday cake to do (beer cake for a guy turning legal age). Used my edible image printer and was pleased with the results. Had to put it in the fridge b/c of a perishable filling, and I don't normally refridgerate cakes. I hope the image doesn't bleed.

leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:51am
post #9 of 55

Can you believe how many cakes Rose cranks out? Whew!! She's a cakeing machine!

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #10 of 55

Yeah!! I finally get to post what I'm up to on a Friday night! Making my 2nd wedding cake - a 3 tier Western theme.

However, I am still pondering what to do with my top tier - maybe you pros could give me some advice? The bottom two tiers will be stacked with SPS but the bride wants me to use Wilton Crystal columns with an 8 inch sitting on a separator plate for the top tier. Underneath the top tier will be a cluster of gumpaste roses. I'm wondering if there's some way that I can put the 8 inch cake on the plate so that I can put the border on tonight? The problem is that the columns fit snugly into the plate so it will take considerable force to place the plate on top. Ideally I would like to arrange the cluster at home tonight and take it tomorrow and just place it on the cake but I'm not sure now if that's possible. So, should I just finish it at the venue tomorrow?

Also, because the columns are close together I'm having a hard time arranging the flowers to fit around them- should I put the flowers on after I put the columns and top tier on the cake? The problem with that is I will have very limited space to work with between cakes (about 5 inches). I am planning on sticking the roses into a piece of fondant-covered foam to create a ball effect.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #11 of 55

hi, making icing for my nieces, birthday cake, graduation cake, and her boyfriends birthday cake, all due next weekend. The bd and grad cake are going to be one huge sheet cake, split down the middle, (her mom wanted simple, I just have to remember graduation on right side of cake and birthday on left. LOL. she is decorating table half and half. It should be interesting.

mbark Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #12 of 55

I got two shipments of cake supplies/tools yesterday & today so I'm gonna have some fun with my new toys!

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:58am
post #13 of 55

Well I delivered a 3 tier wedding cake and then a ganache covered groom's cake with chocolate dipped strawberries. I also had a smaller cake picked up. I also iced the 10 other tiers of cakes for tomorrow. I have a 4 tier and 3 tier wedding cake to finish tomorrow for the afternoon. And then 2 birthday cakes to finish. Luckily they won't take long to stack and decorate.

leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:03am
post #14 of 55

Cherry, you can put the 8" on a foil covered board (just a regular cake board) and finish it off. Put the crystal legs into the plate and push that into the cake. Arrange your flowers. transport the bottom with the plate sticking up in the air and the finished top tier separately. When you get to the venue just set the top tier on the plate and you're done.

leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #15 of 55

mbark,
What'd ya get?

mbark Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:12am
post #16 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

mbark,
What'd ya get?

most excited about B&B Wedding Bouquet which I've purchased for the first time & can't wait to try in my next batch of icing.
Also some great cutters- butterflies, birthday boy, zoo animals, and summertime.
A few small impression mats.
Large bench scraper I want to try out on a square cake I'm doing this weekend (just in time for the 3 tiered square wedding cake set for next weekend).
Balling tool, gonna try to make roses (again! I WILL conquer sugar flowers!)
I also got a cool little 3 drawer organizer to organize all my cutters, punches, tips, fondant tools etc etc

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:14am
post #17 of 55

I have a small two tier wedding cake that i airbrushed a dark navy. Letting it dry for a couple of hours before I go back to it and see if it needs touched up. Trying to match a paint chip called Starry Night, which is just another good reason to ALWAYS get a sample color, the bride told me Navy Blue, so I ordered Navy blue coloring, ended up doing a a 1:5 ratio of black to navy blue in order to get the right color. It's a lot darker than Navy blue.

Then in the morning cutting out some fondant circles and putting on a fondant ribbon in white.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:17am
post #18 of 55

Whew! I made it!

Quote:

Can you believe how many cakes Rose cranks out? Whew!! She's a cakeing machine!

Thanks for the compliment Leahs. Unfortunately I'm no better than the average grocery store decorator! I got the count for tomorrow. 83. I'll be going in early!

My auction cakes are iced and sitting in my cooler. The fondant decals and the bows will go on after I get home tomorrow and then I'll deliver them to the church. I'm excited to see what they'll go for. I priced them at a value of $45 each. Ooo, I should print out Debi's cutting guide and give them along with the cakes so the winners can see just how to get 22 servings out of that little 8 incher.

mbark: I just got some wedding bouquet too! B&B's. So yummy! Although I did make one tiny mistake when I opened the bottle. I tried a drop of it straight. After I pulled my socks back on I did like the flavor! Hubby likes it too!

mbark Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:21am
post #19 of 55

[quote

mbark: I just got some wedding bouquet too! B&B's. So yummy! Although I did make one tiny mistake when I opened the bottle. I tried a drop of it straight. After I pulled my socks back on I did like the flavor! Hubby likes it too![/quote]

good to know! icon_razz.gif

leah_s Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:27am
post #20 of 55

Rose you made it home!

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #21 of 55

Tonight am trying to sort my spare bedroom once again, I've just purchased a food grade stainless steel table $100,and huge bakers rack $5, (excellant condition) and now I need somewhere to put them. I already have a smaller bakers rack, airbrush station, bookshelf and large storage cupboard. My poor spare room the walls are bulging (with cake things woohoo).

myKzooKid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myKzooKid Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:31am
post #22 of 55

I'm working on a baby shower cake for my cousin. It's my first two tier cake so I'm excited/nervous to do it. Actually I'm making more cake than is needed but this was a great opportunity to try a two tier. And I need a nice pedestal for the baby and baby toys I'm modeling out of fondant. I just finished one of his arms and stuck his thumb in his mouth. Now I'm going to crumbcoat the cakes before making his other arm and finish up his teddy. I'm really pleased with how he is turning out, esp since it's the first human I have modeled with fondant. It's been very late nights all week and I hope tonight isn't an all nighter!

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #23 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbark

Quote:

mbark,
What'd ya get?

most excited about B&B Wedding Bouquet which I've purchased for the first time & can't wait to try in my next batch of icing.
Also some great cutters- butterflies, birthday boy, zoo animals, and summertime.
A few small .
Large bench scraper I want to try out on a square cake I'm doing this weekend (just in time for the 3 tiered square wedding cake set for next weekend).
Balling tool, gonna try to make roses (again! I WILL conquer sugar flowers!)
I also got a cool little 3 drawer organizer to organize all my cutters, punches, tips, fondant tools etc etc

I'm a sucker for organization! Spill the details!!

I got the wedding cakes, iced. They're currently residing upon the top of my entertainment center and refrigerator. Got the GP roses and callas done. In the AM I'll cut the improve sps for the big layers so that I don't have to do that at the venue...then I'll go spray tan (lol) and come back and start the deliveries....then off to one of the weddings!

I'm crossing my fingers (and toes) that this goes well!

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #24 of 55

SHOOT i wish i had an order today im so bored knowing me i'll start baking a cake around 11pm and finish decor around 4am thats just the way i roll when im bored icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:39am
post #25 of 55

I am working on a bridal shower cake for my soon to be sister-in-law. First stacked cake, first quilting, first many many things. I too am making more than what is needed for the practice.

It will be a late night for sure....and an early morning start.....but hopefully will have the intended effect.

Rose.....so many cakes....so few hours.....yikes![/u]

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:40am
post #26 of 55

Working on a 4 tier graduation cake and 2 tier birthday cake. Plus a few dozen decorated sugar cookies. Not such a big deal, but my inlaws are in town and staying with us. And I have a 4 week old baby. And a 3 year old. And a 4 1/2 year old. And we just moved into a new house.

I'm tired, and I've only filled and iced the 4 tier. Everything else is baked, but NOTHING else is done.... Gonna be a loooong night!

mbark Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:41am
post #27 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefjulie

Working on a 4 tier graduation cake and 2 tier birthday cake. Plus a few dozen decorated sugar cookies. Not such a big deal, but my inlaws are in town and staying with us. And I have a 4 week old baby. And a 3 year old. And a 4 1/2 year old. And we just moved into a new house.

I'm tired, and I've only filled and iced the 4 tier. Everything else is baked, but NOTHING else is done.... Gonna be a loooong night!

oh Julie... feel your pain. We're with you in spirit!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:42am
post #28 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTBUGZY1

Tonight am trying to sort my spare bedroom once again, I've just purchased a food grade stainless steel table $100,and huge bakers rack $5, (excellant condition) and now I need somewhere to put them. I already have a smaller bakers rack, airbrush station, bookshelf and large storage cupboard. My poor spare room the walls are bulging (with cake things woohoo).

Sounds like a great plan. I have hopes of someday converting my spare room (currently the catch-all junk room) into a room primarily for keeping my cake toys together.

kewaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kewaters Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:51am
post #29 of 55

Good Evening! I think i used a little too much crisco on my fondant covered cake...i was trying to get rid of some of the elephant skin i had going on and i think i used too much. it is very slick and shiny. what can i do to remove the excess crisco? Cake is for a.m. so need to know ASAP...thanks in advance!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:57am
post #30 of 55

It's been a while seen I've been on CC.
Tonight I'm working on a 3 tier wedding cake for tomorrow and my bottom layer 18x18 square just split and tore all to crap. So I'm up baking another. I'm disgusted and frustrated. Just waiting for it to finish. Long night!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%