Those Beautiful Pearl Borders....

Decorating By KayMc Updated 27 May 2010 , 5:18am by madgeowens

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:26am
post #1 of 25

Can I roll them out of gum paste, or does it need to be fondant?

24 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 25

I've used both and they both work.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:56am
post #3 of 25

i use fondant and chocolate clay mixed half and half. taste very good!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #4 of 25

I used to make pearls out of gum paste until my nephew nearly cracked a tooth on one that he failed to remove from his slice. I was relieved it was only a near miss. It made me think I was thankful it wasn't for a paying customer. I only make them out of fondant now and the results are just as beautiful and safe.

KayMc Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:01am
post #5 of 25

Wow, Milkmaid! That's a really smart thing to keep in mind. No gum paste pearl balls for me!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 25

i always use fondant for pearl borders, due to the tooth factor too. I havent triend the pearl molds yet? have any of you?

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:54am
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

i always use fondant for pearl borders, due to the tooth factor too. I havent triend the pearl molds yet? have any of you?

I will be trying it for the first time tomorrow morning....here's hoping it goes well!

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:03am
post #8 of 25

I have the pearl mold and I love it. It's so easy and much quicker than rolling everyone out by hand.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 25

someone said here they made their own homemade pearl roller.... I asked how but haven't gotten an answer... very curious to know....

I have the mold but I got the 6mm and it's too small ( i think ) so I don't use it... I still roll my paste..cut with the circle cutter and roll one by one... I need to get wither the 8mm or the 10mm but can't bring myself to spend another 20$ on that lol

I also have the one from the clay aisle at Michael's.... but for the life of me I have no idea how to use it... they sell it also at www__.___s_u_g_a_r___c_r_a_f_t___.____com and there are some instructions on it... but I can't figure it out....

does anyone else have that one?
LL

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #10 of 25

Tell me how it works out. I'm with dalis.. how do you use that thing ???

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:05am
post #11 of 25

Yes I have the pearl molds and I love them.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:21am
post #12 of 25

I broke down and bought the silicone pearl mold (gosh, cant rememmber the name) and I LOVE it. It has 3 sizes of pearl strings. Got it from GSA along with a silicone rope mold. So much faster.

Sandy C

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:59am
post #13 of 25

My fabulous brother bought me 2 different molds from global sugar art. They have 3 strands of different sizes on each mold. I've used the larger pearls for cake borders. And, the smaller pearls for cookie borders. I really like the look. Although, a large order of pearl bordered cookies with one mold is a bit irritating!!!! icon_smile.gif

I normally use the 50/50 marshmallow rolled buttercream recipe on here from wtare. I have to pop them in the freezer for about 5 minutes and then they come out fine.

andreamen1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamen1 Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:02am
post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

someone said here they made their own homemade pearl roller.... I asked how but haven't gotten an answer... very curious to know....

I also have the one from the clay aisle at Michael's.... but for the life of me I have no idea how to use it... they sell it also at www__.___s_u_g_a_r___c_r_a_f_t___.____com and there are some instructions on it... but I can't figure it out....

does anyone else have that one?

i have one it's very time consuming so i don't really use it all you have to do is fill that little clear thing it comes with and push it out put it in the roller stick together and start rolling and rolling and then some more rolling lol.

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:42am
post #15 of 25

Another way to do it that I found from Applegum is to put your fondant through a pasta maker - or whatever you use to make your fondant the same thickness. Leave it quite thick. Then use the circle of an icing tip and cut out the circles. This makes all your pearls the same size. Pick up the circles and roll them into a ball shape. Then put a little amount of luster dust into a bowl and use a large blush/powder make up brush (obviously never used for makeup) to coat the balls.

I use fondant. Children LOVE picking off the balls and eating them!

KayMc Posted 22 May 2010 , 12:34pm
post #16 of 25

Thank you all for your great advice! I'm waiting for my pearl molds to arrive, and I'm hoping they make it in time for the cake I'm doing this week. I was going to use gum paste, but am so thankful you warned me against this! Thanks again!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:52pm
post #17 of 25

Dalis: I have that contraption as well and durned if I know how to use it. LOL

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #18 of 25

Some one else on CC once recommended using Sixlets candies for a pearl border.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:26pm
post #19 of 25

I bought a 8mm pearl maker and ruined it by putting in too much fondant. The mold has splits in it and the pearls are hideous when I use it. I can't bring myself to buy another one (or throw this one away) b/c they're so expensive. I roll my by hand as described above, and actually have become really fast @ it. I use either fondant or candy clay.

Marianna46 Posted 22 May 2010 , 8:37pm
post #20 of 25

Good point, milkmaid42. Fondant it is, from now on! I don't have pearl molds, but I also use the method outlined by Melnick, except that I put the luster dust and the beads in a zip-top bag and shake them. They coat very evenly and you need very little dust.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 23 May 2010 , 12:01am
post #21 of 25

I splurged some time ago and bought three different size pearl molds; the simple split silicone type. In spite of that, I find I still prefer to roll my fondant out and punch a whole bunch at once, keeping them under cling wrap until I roll them. Believe it or not, my favorite tool is a plastic drinking straw--my favorite size being Jack In The Box's big blue one. If I want even bigger, the flat end of a bubble tea straw serves. I keep a little empty cottage cheese carton (all the expensive cake toys and this is what I use?!)
with a small amount of pearl or luster dust in the bottom and just plop them in, one at a time, as I roll them. Then swirl them around to coat and onto a foam pad to dry. It goes rather quickly and I like the look of individually placed pearls rather than a rope. Just my opinion.

madgeowens Posted 26 May 2010 , 6:09am
post #22 of 25

This is my first try with the mold and I used gumpaste.....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1562673

KayMc Posted 26 May 2010 , 11:26am
post #23 of 25

Madge, I think you did a great job on this cake! I especially love the hanging pearls.

Marianna46 Posted 26 May 2010 , 2:02pm
post #24 of 25

No kidding, Madge, great cake!

madgeowens Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:18am
post #25 of 25

Thanks. I just got some bigger pearl molds and will use in the next day or so....I am excited to try them out.......they are 2 times or more longer than my others.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%