Problems Cutting Fondant With Cricut Cake

Decorating By adven68 Updated 24 Aug 2013 , 4:33pm by angelicconfections

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 27 May 2010 , 5:00pm
post #31 of 43

I do not think they care. You never get decent answers. I go on their message boards and they do not give any satifactory answers.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 27 May 2010 , 10:38pm
post #32 of 43

I agree with you on their message boards, not a helpful piece of information can be found regarding it. For the sake of maintaining current and future customers, let's hope they step up their customer service game this time!

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 29 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #33 of 43

I last night I sat down and worked some with mine, my fondant was too soft my gumpaste was too something so I mixed them 50/50 and let them sit for about 20 min I have to say it worked better but I don't know about an entricate piece. On the thicker roll it seemed to want to give me some ragged edges and the thinner was better.

I guess once we have it figured out it will be fine, but who has the time especially after paying 300.00 for the thing. I don't chance it to do what I want when i want and that aggravates me it's not a sure thing EVERY time. Keep going girls we will overcome the cake!!!!!

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:13pm
post #34 of 43

Okay gang, I finally heard back from Provo Craft regarding the problems....and as expected here what their response:

Thank you for contacting us. May I recommend going to our Cricut Cake Message Boards. Click on this link http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tt.aspx?forumid=275 You will find tips and tricks, recipes and ideas. Post a question and our experts will post an answer in a reply.

Have a nice day!

Heidi

Response Team
1-877-7CRICUT
Or 1-877-727-4288

What a joke!!! I say we all call "Heidi" and make her give us answers on how to make this thing actually do what they claim it is suppose to do!!!

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #35 of 43

I finally got some decent cuts but not real intricut ones. I put some cornstarch on top of fondant and let it dry a little and then cut. I am still having trouble with it pulling up when cutting. I do like playing with it though.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #36 of 43

I don't have any faith in provo craft. I'm going to take a class from Linda McClure in July.

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 2 Jun 2010 , 7:58pm
post #37 of 43

I don't see the Cricut ever working for any kind of truly intricate work on gumpaste type products. It WILL however, work on wafer paper pretty well. I tried it out this weekend and it worked.

I did have some luck with something I wasn't able to create by hand on my own. The Cricut did it with no problem. It did take me about a half an hour with messing around to get it to work with fondant though. But I sure rolled mine thin!

Adiem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adiem Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 4:09am
post #38 of 43

Hi there,

I used my cricut cake to cut a flourish design this morning and I can see why there are so many problems with it!

Reading up on this beforehand, I decided to roll out my fondant as thin as I could get it the night before and let it dry over night to harden. The first cuts of my design came out perfect! I was so happy, but then as the machine moved closer to the centre of the fondant piece, it started pulling and tearing it. So from my experience the areas on the sides of the fondant dried enough to cut properly, but the centre was still soft and pliable and so it didn't work.

I ended up rolling the fondant out again and freezing it, but you have to work fast because it only take a few seconds before it softens again, but it did work!

My advice: Roll out your fondant as thin as you can get it (1/8 of an inch) and let it sit overnight. Then use your lowest speed setting with your medium pressure setting to cut. Hope this helps!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 6:53am
post #39 of 43

If you want to have true success you need to take Linda's class. I use her gum paste and her method and it works perfectly.

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 1 Oct 2010 , 1:22pm
post #40 of 43

Thanks for the information. I am taking a class soon and am excited to learn how to use my cricut for cake decorating. I found this web site with some great information. It is deseretdesigns.com Also here is a great blog to go along with the web site. It has some great tips creativedesignsforcakes.blogspot.com Linda McClure invented this method and is teaching the classes. I am really looking forward to the class.

online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 3 Oct 2010 , 2:05pm
post #41 of 43

Linda McClure also sells a DVD on the subject. A worthwhile investment if you have purchased or plan on purchasing the Cricut Cake.

JackydeKlerk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackydeKlerk Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 11:49am
post #42 of 43

I just lovvvveeee my cricut. Yes. I had problems in the beginning, but it is like learning to ride a bike. You just need a little bit of patience then the magic happens.

I roll my fondant out as thinly as possible, almost seeing the circles on the mat. I use a pasta machine to make it that thin. I also add some tylose to it, sometimes nothing, as the weather plays a big part.

To get it on the cake, I have a silicone mat. I loosen the cuts a little bit, turn it upside down on my silicone mat and let it fall or help it to go on the silicon matt. When it is on, I add some egg white to my cut outs and lift the mat to the cake where I place it in the right place.

It really works for me. Cricut is a great investment, but it needs time and patience to master.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 24 Aug 2013 , 4:33pm
post #43 of 43

I just got a cake cricut from my husband as birthday gift.  I'm really excited and so intimidated!  The instructions don't say what medium to use, so gumpaste, fondant, frosting sheets, has anyone tried the sugar sheets?  I'm going to give it a try fingers crossed!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%