Sugar Shack's Buttercream

Baking By ctinaw Updated 24 May 2010 , 1:51pm by MissLisa

ctinaw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctinaw Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:33pm
post #1 of 15

Hi there - I have a couple questions about this - going to try it out tonight.

First - I don't have access to hi-ratio, but I do use a shortening that does have trans fats - will this work in the same proportions as the recipe?

Also - it refers to the coffee mate creamer - are we to use the liquid or powdered?

Also - if I want to reduce or increase the recipe - it seems to be a pretty equal cup to pound ratio on shortening to powdered sugar respectively is that correct?

Thanks - anyone who can help!

14 replies
FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 15

Yes, substitute trans fat shortening. If the coffeemate is powdered, you add hot water to it to make the required number of tablespoons. Otherwise, use liquid without adding water. She says to use a "generous" cup ofr shortening for each cup of powdered sugar, so a bit more than a level cup.
It's a nice recipe. Good luck!

ctinaw Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:59am
post #3 of 15

Ok thanks FACSlady - Gosh that makes it so easy to just make as much as one would need. Thanks for the info - I'm about to give it a go!

ctinaw Posted 22 May 2010 , 7:03am
post #4 of 15

Well my husband loves the flavor. It doesn't have that sickeningly sweet flavor like the last buttercream I made. Though unfortunately I didn't get that SMOOTH texture I was hoping for. Too many air bubbles. I made a half batch only so it wasn't totally covering the beater - so it's pretty bubbly. I guess there's not much I can do about that though. Hopefully I'll be able to do something with it.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 15

I've read that some cakers press the icing against the side of the bowl with a spatula to remove air bubbles. It takes awhile, but it works for them. Perhaps that batch can be saved?

onlymadaresane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onlymadaresane Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 15

You should make a full batch to really get the right consistency...and use creamer that's a 1:1 ratio. (powder to water). What kind of mixer do you have? There are lots of variations on ratios for sizes of mixers.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:28pm
post #7 of 15

Having the bowl full so that the beater is covered is the key to having it come out smooth.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 15

I'm getting confused, I thought it was a cup of shortening to 1 pound of powdered sugar.
a cup to cup would be way too much shortening.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 15

Yes, pound.

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 22 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 15

That sounds right to me - I do mine in a six quart Kitchenaide and do 6.5 pounds of powdered sugar to 3 pounds butter/hi-ratio mixed.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:20pm
post #11 of 15

You definitely need to do a full batch or you'll always get a ton of bubbles.
For a 4-1/2 quart mixer:
4-1/2 cups shortening
4 pounds powdered sugar
12 T HOT liquid
4T flavoring

For a 5 quart mixer-
5-1/2 cups shortening
5 pounds powdered sugar
12-14T HOT liquid
5 T flavoring

and the 6 quart mixer is as arosstx said. Good luck, once you get the right texture, you'll never want to use any other recipe.

cakesbymark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 22 May 2010 , 5:34pm
post #12 of 15

i'm going to try this aswell this weekend... thanks

ctinaw Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 15

Yeah I can see where you'd need the full batch for the recipe to not have all of the air bubbles - but I have a 6 qt KA and was only making an 8" birthday cake - so even half of the batch was really over-doing it! Oh well! I managed to smooth it pretty well anyway.

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:24pm
post #14 of 15

You can also use the flavored Coffee-Mate...I used the French Vanilla and it was wonderful! icon_smile.gif

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 24 May 2010 , 1:51pm
post #15 of 15

Keep in mind when you make the icing, the left-overs can be frozen!
Next time you make a batch, haul out your left-overs, let it thaw and mix in with the batch you are making.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%