Hawaiian Valcano Cake

Decorating By jickers01 Updated 23 May 2010 , 6:36am by hollyml

jickers01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jickers01 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 4

I have someone that wants me to do a valcano that looks like it's from Hawaii with lava flowing down. They also want palm trees. I could really use an idea for this one. They want it 3D too. They aren't needing it for a few weeks, but I would really like some help on this one. Thanks!

3 replies
hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

I did a volcano cake not long ago with marshmallow fluff as the lava...looked great. Do they want to be able to make it erupt, or do they just want, you know, red frosting running down from the top?

You can search the gallery for examples of palm trees; there are lots of ways to do them.

jickers01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jickers01 Posted 22 May 2010 , 10:05pm
post #3 of 4

No they don't want it to erupt. How did you get the base of the volcano? Did you use a certain cake pan?

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 23 May 2010 , 6:36am
post #4 of 4

The one I did most recently, I actually used the Wilton doll cake pan. Without putting a doll in, of course. icon_smile.gif It makes a steeper volcano than using a bowl -- which is how I've done it before. I've also heard of people using a Bundt pan for the top, which is convenient for erupting ones because you don't need to carve out a hole for the crater. Whatever you use, you usually stack the dome-shaped cake on top of one or more regular round layers, to make it taller. Some people also use an upside-down cupcake stacked on top, again for a steeper slope.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%