I Just Fell In Love With...

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 22 May 2010 , 6:28pm by jlkallred

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 13

....Petal Dust. I am still a beginning hobby caker. I learned how to do fondant roses this week and while at the cake supply store I decided to pick up some petal dust. With some help from the very nice and knowledgeable sales lady I brought some home. I used it today and I am hooked. My roses look so much better. Before they were just stark white, now they look great!!

It's amazing all the different techniques you can use and supplies out there to help.

Well, off to make Michele Foster's fondant for the first time.

12 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 13

Me too, Thanksharla, I recently discovered pearl dust and am hooked. Have you tried STEAMING your flowers after you've dusted them? Gorgeous! I had no idea it would make such a difference.

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 13

Sounds intriguing! How do you steam the flowers?

Elcee Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 13

Well, I don't have a steamer or anything fancy, I just boil a little pot of water and hold the flower over it for a few seconds. It gives plain gumpaste/fondant a really nice sheen. With the pearl dust it sets it and gives them a pearly sheen. Some people steam whole cakes!

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #5 of 13

If you hold gumpaste flowers over a steaming pot of water, hold them securely. Gumpaste dissolves in water quickly - and there goes all your hard work. I purchased a travel type steamer and use it to steam my flowers.

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:20am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Me too, Thanksharla, I recently discovered pearl dust and am hooked. Have you tried STEAMING your flowers after you've dusted them? Gorgeous! I had no idea it would make such a difference.

I have not steamed any flowers yet. I probably made too many flowers for this cake coming up so I should try to do that with any extras.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:44am
post #7 of 13
Quote:

Well, I don't have a steamer or anything fancy, I just boil a little pot of water and hold the flower over it for a few seconds. It gives plain gumpaste/fondant a really nice sheen. With the pearl dust it sets it and gives them a pearly sheen. Some people steam whole cakes!

Hi Elcee...I steam my cakes icon_lol.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 22 May 2010 , 2:49am
post #8 of 13

I have been looking into a travel steamer and found one at walmart for about 30 dollars that looked perfect. I am still a little on the fence, I don't need another cake addiction !!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

me345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me345 Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:15am
post #9 of 13

I heard you can use the steamer from your iron but I've never tried it.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:52am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

I have been looking into a travel steamer and found one at walmart for about 30 dollars that looked perfect. I am still a little on the fence, I don't need another cake addiction !!! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

So many toys.... so little time!

Elcee Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occther

If you hold gumpaste flowers over a steaming pot of water, hold them securely. Gumpaste dissolves in water quickly - and there goes all your hard work. I purchased a travel type steamer and use it to steam my flowers.

Good to know, hasn't happened to me, but I will be more aware of the possibility. Thanks!

Elcee Posted 22 May 2010 , 3:33pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Hi Elcee...I steam my cakes icon_lol.gif

...and they are lovely. I like the amount of shine on them. I was afraid they would look greasy after being steamed. I guess I'll be adding a steamer to my wish list icon_smile.gif .

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 22 May 2010 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 13

I actually have a handheld steamer already. I can't wait to try it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%