Advice On Carving A Tall 3D Sculpted Cake

Decorating By suzannesaucepan Updated 21 May 2010 , 11:20pm by Karen421

suzannesaucepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannesaucepan Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 6

Just wanted to get people's opinions on the best way to carve a tall 3D sculpted cake. I am doing a 3 tier graduation cake for a recent design and fashion graduate. The 2nd and 3rd tiers are divided with the wilton spiral seperator, and I want to do a carved cake for the 3rd tier in the shape of a dress makers form. Just need to know whether to dowel and plate the cakes that I will be stacking. I have made 6 layers each 8 inches plain madeira cake with hazelnut frosting. I have the cakes in the freezer and am waiting for advice on how to proceed!!! Help please! It's a very important cake- it's for the grand-daughter of the prime minister where I live! icon_confused.gif

5 replies
bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 21 May 2010 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 6

dowel and support board every four inches of height is the genral rule I use - Good Luck - sounds fun!

cakeville82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeville82 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 6

You made 60+ servings of cake for the top tier of a Wilton stand?

l80bug79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l80bug79 Posted 21 May 2010 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 6

I would suggest that for the top, most narrow part not to use cake. use rice krispie treats. the dress cake I did ( in my pictures) i wanted to use cake for the very top (was for a competition and had to use all cake) but it just fell apart. turned out, I had enough height up to the breaking point so i just used the treats for the very top. I would suggest something more than just dowels. I would get narrow pvc pipe.

suzannesaucepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzannesaucepan Posted 21 May 2010 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks guys for the advice. Cakeville, you sound unconvinced -that's why I'm asking you guys for your advice. It's the first time I've carved something so elaborate. I won't be assembling the top tier till I get there, but now you've got me worried it's going to be too heavy. I tried using RKT a few times but would like the smooth effect of using cake. I guess I could make it smaller? What would you recommend? Thanks again for your input

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 6

Don't get worried, you will be ok! Make sure you use enough support. If I am making anything tall, I use a pvc pipe in the middle, and the dowels with foam core board every 4". RKT can be crushed before you mix them and it make them smaller and smoother. Good luck! and post pictures!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%