Edible Images

Decorating By learningtodecorate Updated 23 May 2010 , 1:50am by icingimages

learningtodecorate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learningtodecorate Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 2

Ok everyone where can I get the printer machine to be able to make my own edible images, and about how much does it cost. Thanks

1 reply
icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:50am
post #2 of 2

There are a few companies that sell the entire systems. There are basically two different types of systems you can use to customize images. Ones that work with your PC and ones that do not. The standalone system is designed to use primarily with out your computer. Now obviously you have a computer as you are on CC! This system is also a good choice if you do not have a scanner as the standalone systems have the copier built in, but they can be hooked to a computer and used as well. The other system, the PC based machines work with your own computer and scanner and you print edible pictures like you would "regular" pictures. There are two brands out there two choose from. Canon and Epson. I only recommend one Epson and that is the one that we use for wide format prints. That is the only one I would recommend and that is only if you are using Gold Label inks as they tend Not to clog like other inks. The only advantage to this system is that it prints 11x17" icing sheets. Now the Canon's are great if you want to be able to print everything up to 8.5x11" There are two systems out there I would recommend. The Canon ip3600 if you have your own scanner and are using a PC or the Canon mp560 if you are planning to use it like a copier, or you are using the scanner on it with your PC and printing out the image that way.

Now that you have all that understood, there are two different types of cartridges that are used in the printers. Sponged and Spongeless. I do not recommend the sponged as they hold less ink and are prone to more problems. The newer style that is available is the spongeless cartridges. They have more ink, are the easiest to refill and are prone to fewer problems.

Now icing sheets! There are three different types out there. There are the Lucks which is well known as they are what the edible images are preprinted on that you see at the grocery stores. There is the Icing Images House brand or the Kopykake brand which is the thinnest. They are the hardest to use in my opinion as they are prone to environmental changes. If it too dry, sometimes the sheets can crack. If it is too humid, they can be troublesome in removing them from their backing. Finally there is the Premium Icing Sheets. These are thicker, they are edge to edge with exception of a 1/4" off the top and they peel very easily.

Now the company. Many people like to purchase the system on their own and save money. Some people like to have the backing of a company. Some companies warranty the printers over and above the manufacturer. The best thing to do is to call companies you are interested in using. Are they informative? Are they helpful? Do they take time with you? Do they take care of you.

Printing your own image costs you about $2.00 an image. It is only worthwhile if you are going to be printing weekly. If not, it is best to have them printed for you.

I hope this helps. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have, although I may have given you more then you really wanted to know!!!

Good Luck, it is a lot of fun?

Quote by @%username% on %date%