Please Help With Black And White Engagement Cake

Decorating By stg18 Updated 23 May 2010 , 8:39pm by venuscakes

stg18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stg18 Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:59am
post #1 of 12

I am not super experienced so I need some simple idea.

Its black and white themed.

It is 2 tier - 10 inch and 6inch round. I will chuck an 8 inch in if it will make the effect look better.

I dont know whether to go black then white or black white black or white black white (you get my drift)
I dont know how to hide my seems and what colour for border.

I was thinking a large loopy bow made from fondant on top

Id like to encorporate 6 rose flowers into if I can.

I also have to put their names somewhere.

I just dont know how to tie all this in together (suggests beyond these ideas I will consider too)

It just has to be black and white themed. I need it not too hard for a beginner(ish) but I really want to wow people and it to have impact. Design suggestions please???

11 replies
casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:44am
post #2 of 12

Go to the search bar under cake central and type in black and white cakes and scan through the pictures for some ideas

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 12

I would cover the whole cake in white, and then use black decorations -- fondant cutouts maybe, or real ribbon, or silk flowers, or whatever in black. Or paint the names on in black.

Because black frosting, honestly, is just not that appetizing. No matter how elegantly done.

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:00am
post #4 of 12

Yes, what holly said, black is a bit of a pain to work with! I would think 6 and 10 would look a bit odd, maybe 6 and 9 would be better proportioned?

Here are a couple I've done:

Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:19am
post #5 of 12

Here is one I did http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1471337

I'm not very experienced either. I definately think go with the white cover and black accents.

For mine I made a template be enlarging the invitation and printing it on cardboard, then I used it to cut the fondant. You might be able to do that sort of thing with your roses?

stg18 Posted 21 May 2010 , 10:17am
post #6 of 12

now they are saying that they want black piping over the wilton vines impression mat. Ive never piped before! is it hard...?? lol should I try it or not bother when Im not experienced in it.

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:05am
post #7 of 12

If you have never piped before, I don't think black on white is the time to start. Any mistakes that you make will really show up. I f you have to, I would practice first on something other than your cake,
I agree with one of your other posters and use cutters or your roses and not too much black. Keeping things fairly simple and clean make more of an impact on a black and white cake because of the color contrast.
Good luck, and congrats on your order.

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:29pm
post #8 of 12

I think the sizes are fine. I've done 2 cakes with one tier being 10" and the top being 6" and thought they looked great together.

Your possibilities are endless on a black and white cake. How about some black cornelli lace on the white fondant/buttercream?

stg18 Posted 21 May 2010 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 12

So I have kinda two ideas.. what do you guys think?

2 tier. White fondant covered. Black fondant ribbon around the bottom seams of the tiers. The bottom tier white part imprinted with the impression mat, then a large loopy black bow on top. Their names or initials on the cake board or on the top of the top tier.

Either that,

Or exactly the same except on the white bottom instead of the impression mat, I do black royal icing dots in a diamond patter. What do you guys think? or any variation?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:10am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stg18

Ive never piped before! is it hard...??

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 22 May 2010 , 1:10pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stg18

So I have kinda two ideas.. what do you guys think?

2 tier. White fondant covered. Black fondant ribbon around the bottom seams of the tiers. The bottom tier white part imprinted with the , then a large loopy black bow on top. Their names or initials on the cake board or on the top of the top tier.

Either that,

Or exactly the same except on the white bottom instead of the , I do black royal icing dots in a diamond patter. What do you guys think? or any variation?

Love them both icon_smile.gif

Have you done dots before? They can be a little tricky to get them on the cake without looking like hershey's kisses.

One suggestion, if you're going to use real ribbon for the bow, skip the fondant ribbon strip, and just use the ribbon. The sheen of the ribbon bow and the black border ribbon will then match.

If you want to do a quilted look/diamond pattern, use the side of ruler to imprint on the sides of the cake - there's a good sketch of how to figure out the measurements in the template section.

Skip, skip, skip piping altogether if you've never done it. icon_smile.gif

Have fun! And post a picture when you're done! It will be beautiful icon_smile.gif

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 23 May 2010 , 8:39pm
post #12 of 12

Hi Here is a polka dot cake that I did for a small wedding celebration.

It was a miniature cake and very simple to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%