Baking

Decorating By Sweet_Kakes Updated 21 May 2010 , 4:58am by ceshell

Sweet_Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Kakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 3:10am
post #1 of 2

Can I bake a cake a week before a party and then take them out when I am ready to ganache them. By the way how many days in advance should i take them out to fill and ganache and then fondant. The party is june 26 and i was going to bake that sunday before since i am a full time employee as well as a mother of 2.

Thanks

1 reply
ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 May 2010 , 4:58am
post #2 of 2

I'd do it but personally I'd freeze them for that one week period. Wrap tightly (but not so tightly that you crush the cake) twice in plastic wrap, once in tinfoil and then put into a ziploc (depending on the cake size) or else a plastic grocery bag before putting into the freezer - all of these steps to keep freezer air out of your cake.

How far in advance do you WANT to fill/ganache/fondant and what filling? If the filling is freezable, you can bake, fill and ganache your cake the Sunday before and then just do the fondanting on whatever day you plan to prep the cake for the event. IMO you can do that last part (defrost the cake, then fondant) as early as Weds before the party.

Some folks let the cake sit even longer than that which is why I said "IMO" - for me, there is just a point where I don't want the cake to have been sitting out for that long, so 2-3 days is the max I'm personally comfortable with. However, you can freeze whenever you want. You could even bake 2 weeks ahead if you're freezing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%