Dark Brown Royal Icing

Decorating By JenJen28 Updated 25 May 2010 , 1:00am by JenJen28

JenJen28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJen28 Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 4

I have been trying to find out what to use to pipe a dark chocolate brown design on the side of a cake. Any suggestions on how to get this brown color and what kind of icing I should use?
LL

3 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 4

To me, that looks more like chocolate fondant or modeling chocolate than royal icing.

I'd go with the fondant route. You'll have a very hard time piping that in royal icing and not having it chip during transportation when it's most fragile.

The one thing that you'd have to be careful of is anything staining/bleeding into that satin ribbon around each tier. That's a trickier issue. The wetter or stickier (in humidity especially) your medium, the more likely that is going to occur.

ksu2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksu2009 Posted 23 May 2010 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 4

I would use a flower ribbon( they are not satin) they have many different sizes and colors check with florists around, also use glue gun to attach edges of ribbon

JenJen28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenJen28 Posted 25 May 2010 , 1:00am
post #4 of 4

Because I didn't get your comments in time, I had to do some experimenting. I actually went with a royal icing that I mixed baking cocoa, and brown and black food coloring. The color came out right on and I didn't have any problems with bleeding or flaking. The design came out almost exactly like the picture. Thanks for your comments!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%