Mixing Gumpaste With Fondant ...

Baking By Tiffany0481 Updated 21 May 2010 , 5:25pm by carmijok

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 6

First I apologize if this has already been covered. I tried searching for it and could not find anything.

Ok ... I know that you can mix ready made and mixed gumpaste with fondant to make it more pliable for longer HOWEVER I am wondering if you can mix the gumpaste powder with fondant and get the same type of result. I am not sure why but it drives me nuts to mix the gumpaste and then make my fondant and then mix the two together. I like working with Tylose but it doesn't seem to always work the best for me and in some cases I just need to use the gumpaste.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this and if so, how it has worked.
Thanks!

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 6

The fundamental ingredient you mentioned is Tylose. The gum paste mix powder has a lot of other stuff in it that you just don't need to add to the fondant.

I don't have a can handy, but I'm guessing that it has powdered sugar, maybe meringue powder, and some stabilizers in it. Your fondant is pretty much the same thing, but without the CMC, gum tex, or tylose in it.

So, in essence, if you add tylose to fondant, you're making gum paste. Some of the ratios are different, but with the right amount of tylose added, the results should be the same.

If you want a different type of gum paste that you can roll a bit thinner, has softer properties, you might want to try making Nick Lodge's recipe using Tylose & fresh egg whites. The recipe is halfway down the page:

http://www.firstimpressionsmolds.com/sugarpastefondantgumpasteandpastillage.aspx

HTH
Rae

Tiffany0481 Posted 20 May 2010 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 6

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear in my question. I know what gumpaste is and how to make it and I know about Tylose. I have used and use both. I have certain things I make where I prefer Tylose and others that I prefer gumpaste. Typically I buy the Wilton gumpaste powder and make the gumpaste and then mix it 50/50 with fondant so that it gives the gumpaste more time to work with prior to it starting to harden.

My question is ... instead of taking the gumpaste powder and mixing it with the Confect. Sugar and I believe water ... can I just add the powder to the fondant? I will most likely just try it if no one does it to see the result. I am not sure why but it drives me nuts to mix the gumpaste ...

Thanks!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 6

My short response is that you're wasting all of the other ingredients in the Wilton powder (Ingredients: Sugar, dextrose, corn syrup solids, sodium alginate) that makes it gum paste (the sodium alginate) that's in it. It would be a very expensive way of making gum paste.

I was trying to explain that when you add tylose to fondant you have gum paste. You can also add Wilton's gum tex for the same result. Heck, you can add powdered denture adhesive in a pinch.

You can certainly just add the powder, but without the water, etc., I'm guessing that you'll get a rather dry lump of fondant because of the extra stuff in the gum paste powder. You have to dissolve those sugars with something.....

In a pinch, a small amount added to fondant might work, but again, it's more expensive than just adding the amount of tylose, cmc, or gum tex you need to get your fondant to the gum paste texture that you like.

I wouldn't waste it. I'd just buy some gum tex or more tylose (I like it better).

JMHO
Rae

Tiffany0481 Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 6

Ok Thank you. I guess I am just having issues finding the correct consistency with the Tylose and how much to add to get a nice firm piece. I have been able to roll it out very thin without a problem but then sometimes when I think I have enough, the piece doesn't completely dry even after a week or two and is still a little flimsy. I guess I just need to continue to play with it until I find the right mix ...

I do appreciate your help and advice!

Take care!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 21 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #6 of 6

Honestly I hate Tylose. I never found it to improve the fondant...just makes it really hard. And you never can get it as thin as you can straight gum paste.
I did have a thought (weird as it is and I've never tried it), but what if you mixed some gum paste powder with your fondant and added some Crisco as well? I love using Crisco with gum paste instead of the powdered sugar with fondant. Heck, I've even used Crisco with fondant before. It seems to make things more pliable and smooth. It could be a hot mess too so I wouldn't mix a whole lot! icon_lol.gif
I've only bought the ready made gum paste so I don't know about the powdered kind. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%