Fondant Virgin Needs Help!

Decorating By ambermarie Updated 20 May 2010 , 4:10am by sugarshack

ambermarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambermarie Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:40am
post #1 of 11

I am making 100 mini tiered cakes for my niece's confirmation and I'm covering them in Fondant. The event is on Sunday and I started making them today. My question is...can I store the fondant covered cakes in the fridge for a few nights (in a cake container)? I've been told that it will sweat so it's not a good idea but I don't want to leave them out from now until then because I don't want the butter cream to go bad. My other idea was to just ice them all and put the fondant on at the last minute (saturday) so they would only be in a fridge for one night.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Nothing like waiting til the last minute.

10 replies
casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #2 of 11

What type of buttercream are you using? I must add you are very ambitious and I wish you luck.

ambermarie Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:11am
post #3 of 11

I'm using the premade Wilton buttercream that comes in a tub.

and thanks...I'm thinking maybe a little too ambitious but if you don't try you never know what you're capable of right lol.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:35am
post #4 of 11

with that bC and fondant they do not need fridging at all. Get going! and good luck!

ambermarie Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:38am
post #5 of 11

Really?! They won't spoil between now and Sunday??

If that's true, my night may have been made icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:47am
post #6 of 11

with all non -perishable ingredients ( cake, filling, icing) they will not spoil. will they dry out a little? maybe?

but I have iced cakes on Wed for a sturday wedding so thursday to sunday is the same thing.....

ambermarie Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:49am
post #7 of 11

Oh OK, great! I am VERY new to the cake decorating world, so I'm still learning. I always thought the buttercream was perishable because it says to refrigerate after opening the tub and throw out after two weeks.

Thank you so much for your help!

sugarshack Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:02am
post #8 of 11

some buttercreams are ok on the cake without fridge and others are not. That one is fine. They want you to fridge the not used part because you had been poking spoons it it..... like preserves..... doea that make sense? LOL

ambermarie Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 11

it does..kinda...LOL. But either way I believe you! Thanks for your help. I can't wait until the day that I won't have to ask all these 'beginner' questions, but I guess this is how one learns right!

again thank you for your help!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:09am
post #10 of 11

It has been said , But I will mention again.... I have read here on CC that you do not... do not refrigerate fondant decorated cakes. Second : the filling has to be non perishable...that is no cream cheese nor any filling that has egg or milk as an ingredient.
And good luck, that is quite an undertaking icon_eek.gif
CIAO

sugarshack Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:10am
post #11 of 11

happy to help; and yes, asking questions is how we all learn!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%