Best Way To Make An Open Cake Box Lid?

Decorating By Naketa Updated 20 May 2010 , 2:36pm by andiesweet

Naketa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naketa Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 3

[/b]I need help making my first open cake box lid? Lot's of questions, do I use cake for the lid and cover it with fondant? How do you secure and tilt the lid? Please offer up suggestions, any advice will help.
Thanks!!! icon_confused.gif

2 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 3

Hi Naketa and welcome to CC!!
Answer to your first question yes, you can make the lid out of cake and cover it with fondant but you would want it to be a single layer of cake not filled (it get's heavy).

To attach your lid to your box you need plastic columns (like the wilton ones) and some dowels. Measure the hieght of your box and depending on how open you want your lid to be cut your plastic columns a bit higher than your cake (the back of the lid will sit on these, corners, not directly on your cake). Make sure to place these a bit away from the edge of the cake to prevent collapse.
Now measure and cut your dowels just a bit taller than the columns, these will support the middle of your lid, in front of the columns. place your lid on top of these support and you will then place a single dowel straight through the middle down to the cake board to hold it all together so it won't move.

Hope this helps.

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 3

I would use either gumpaste or pastillage to make the lid. Roll it out and cover the underside of the same size pan you used to bake cake.(See shoe box in my pics.) let it dry well then you can easily secure it with melted chocolate ( if youare covering cake with fondant) and prop it up with skewers or dowels. (see the treasure chest in my photos. )
hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%