Wicked/wizard Of Oz Topsy Turvy Cake...help!

Decorating By thelittlecakehouse Updated 20 May 2010 , 11:42pm by thelittlecakehouse

thelittlecakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thelittlecakehouse Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:45am
post #1 of 9

My husbands coworker asked me to make this for his girlfriend. She loves Wizard of Oz/Wicked and would like it to be a topsy turvy style with tulips (he suggested green) as well. I'm so stumped on this one. I've never seen Wicked so I don't know how to tie it into Wizard of Oz other than the green witch part.

Any ideas??

Thanks so much!!

8 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:08pm
post #3 of 9

how many tiers is it for? i was going to say maybe you could have one like munchkin land, dedicated to dorothy and all thing good, then another to the bad witch and her flying monkey things.. thenj maybe another with something to do with wiked? (havnt seen wicked yet iether, so wouldnt know too much about it.. go google! lol)

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 9

Does she want Wicked or the Wizard of Oz? They're kind of two completely different things. Wicked is a Broadway show that tells the story about the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda long before Dorothy came along. Here's the Broadway show's link: http://www.wickedthemusical.com/page.php#AboutWicked

HTH!

thelittlecakehouse Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 9

That is my dilema he said she loves both wicked & wizard of oz as well as the tulips.

I was thinking 3 tiers for the topsy turvy.
Maybe I will suggest he go with one or the other and shoot from there...

I wish I could rent Wicked so I would know what the fuss is all about icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much!!

MissSassyBuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissSassyBuns Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 9

Well really it's a timeline story right? So you can have the three tiers, topsy turvy and maybe have glinda and the wicked witch figures "walking up" the cake. On the bottom they are holding hands and being friends and then as they go up the cake, you see them progressively getting farther apart until the top is an image of Dorothy in between them and the wicked witch pulling at her ruby slippers and glinda gently gliding her forward...maybe have the monkeys flying around the top and toto biting at the wicked witch....the tulips you can have painted on the side of the cake....green backdrop with dark green outline...I dunno, but that's what comes to my mind...pretty content rich though.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:39pm
post #7 of 9

problem:

in Wicked both witches are friends to the very end -- with green, Elphaba, doing the "bad cop" act and white "Galinda > Glinda" doing the "good cop" turn.

Each supports the other -- and the GREEN witch is the real heroine!

Dorothy and Toto NOT in Wicked -- just a passing reference. The shoes are NOT ever seen on Dorothy -- only seen on Elphaba's sister Nesarose while she is alive.

Only commonalities:
the witches, tin man, scarecrow, cowardly lion, wizard, flying monkeys, Ozians.

Common visuals:
white witch and her bubble (and bubble-headed attitude!), green witch and the broom (fantastic 1st act end: Defying Gravity -- see it on you tube), crashed house - tho' in Wicked it is in the cornfield where scarecrow will be, face of the Wizard-tho' in Wicked in the steampunk style.

----

tulips? -- huh? it was poppies in Wiz of Oz.

-----
possibly:

bottom tier: white witch's tiara
middle tier: images of house,wizard's face, flying monkeys, tin man, scarecrow, cowardly lion, broom.
top tier: green witch's hat

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:58am
post #8 of 9

Nessarose wears the red and white socks, when she has the shoes on, maybe you could tie that in also. Witches hat plays a big role. So does the Wizard.

It is an amazing musical!!

thelittlecakehouse Posted 20 May 2010 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all soooo very much for the ideas and especially for the rundown on the show...this was exactly what I needed! From the sounds of it I need to make it a point to go see this show on our next trip to NYC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%