Fondant Covered Cake Board

Decorating By sweet56pooh Updated 21 May 2010 , 11:14pm by kittyskakes

sweet56pooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet56pooh Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:34am
post #1 of 10

Hi! I'm new to cake decorating and wanted to try and cover my cake board with fondant. Do I put my cake directly onto the fondant covered cake board? Or do I have the cake on another cake board that is exactly the same size of the cake? If so, how do I secure the boards together? Any advice will be much appreciated!! TIA!!

9 replies
NikkiB912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiB912 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:06am
post #2 of 10

When we did it in our cake class, we used piping gel as "glue". And we always had a cake board under our cake too.

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:13am
post #3 of 10

I take a ball of gumpaste, shred it with my hands and put it in the food processor with some water, make a smooth paste with it...adjust the consistency with more gumpaste or water...and I use this as a glue to stick my fondant covering on the cakeboard as well as to stick the cake board under the cake to the fondant covered cake board. I'm sorry I cannot give you exact quantities of the gumpaste and water mixture, as I just make it by feel and not any specific measurement.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

sweet56pooh Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:36am
post #4 of 10

Thank you!! Both answers helped!! Cake board underneath the cake. Do you think royal icing might work as glue or tylose mixed with water? I've got both on hand.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:43am
post #5 of 10

I never use anything to glue the board down and have not had any problems at all with it slipping. If you really want to use something, tylose mixed with water glues everything icon_biggrin.gif and it's not as much trouble as making royal.

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 19 May 2010 , 10:07am
post #6 of 10

Thanks to Peggy Porschen, I now dust my board lightly with confectioners sugar and brush on a little bit of water (very little). The fondant sticks to the board and dries perfectly flat. My cake is on a round. I adhere the round to the fondant covered board with a little bit of royal icing.

MommaDukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaDukes Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:41am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnella2045

Thanks to Peggy Porschen, I now dust my board lightly with confectioners sugar and brush on a little bit of water (very little). The fondant sticks to the board and dries perfectly flat. My cake is on a round. I adhere the round to the fondant covered board with a little bit of royal icing.

Do you cover the entire board or just the edges of the board?
I saw on You tube just doing the edge.

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 10

I cover just the top of the board. I trim the edge with a sharp knife all the way around. I like to affix a ribbon with stick glue along the edge.

sweet56pooh Posted 19 May 2010 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 10

Wow, thanks everyone! My confidence is now building and am now ready to attempt this cake... I think... Wish me luck!!

kittyskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittyskakes Posted 21 May 2010 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 10

I use a nice smear icing to on the board, put the cake on it, do the cake and then put fondant on my boards that relates to the cake: did a racecar cake and cut up little black and white squares and used a little water on the back of each square and put on the cake board. The only part of the board that doesn't have fondant is where the cake is sitting, I push the edges of the fondant that I put on the board under the cake. I think it just adds SO much to the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%