Cake Dummies

Decorating By MammaG Updated 26 May 2010 , 3:43am by BlakesCakes

MammaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MammaG Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 10

I am making a display cake tomorrow, and I've heard to wrap the cake dummies in press and seal. I'm trying my hardest to figure out how to do that and keep it smooth. Any suggestions? I'm doing a 3 tier round cake. Thanks so much!

9 replies
Meowcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meowcakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #2 of 10

Are you going to recycle the dummy? If not, put everything directly onto the dummy.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 10

I have used shortning and regular buttercream on the dummies (both buttercream only and buttercream with fondant on top) and still am able to reuse the dummies. I don't see any reason to use the press and seal. I think it would be very hard to work on!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:34am
post #4 of 10

Even if you're going to recycle it, you still don't need to cover it.

I smooth the upper edges with an emery board (keeps the fondant from tearing) and massage the dummy with crisco (fills in little imperfections) and cover.

When I want to recycle, if it fits in the dishwasher, it goes in with air dry and comes out squeaky clean. If it doesn't fit, I sit it in a plastic tub of water until the fondant dissolves. I then wash it off with warm water and some Dawn and go again.

HTH
Rae

MammaG Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:41am
post #5 of 10

Are all cake dummies foam? Mine is foam, so I can't imagine being able to reuse it or put it in water or anything. I may just try it though because it was inexpensive. Thanks so much. I couldn't figure out how people were doing it. Too much trouble for me.

BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 10

Yes, the cake dummies are styrofoam.

The cost of dummies add up, especially if you're doing several competitions and/or classes per year.

When they get too dinged up, I use them as drying platforms for wired flowers, etc.

Rae

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #7 of 10

I would be afraid to use foam because it could keep moisture in which would eventually mildew and mold. Styrofoam is the way to go! Dallas f o a m has really cheap dummies. I also use royal icing on mine and wash them off when I want to reuse them. Piping gel can be used also if you plan on reuseing it multipal times. I tend to leave mine for a while.

MammaG Posted 20 May 2010 , 1:22am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Yes, the cake dummies are styrofoam.

The cost of dummies add up, especially if you're doing several competitions and/or classes per year.

When they get too dinged up, I use them as drying platforms for wired flowers, etc.

Rae

great idea! Thanks

MammaG Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:26am
post #9 of 10

Thanks so much! I used shortning, and I just stuck the fondant right on top of it, and it worked perfectly.

BlakesCakes Posted 26 May 2010 , 3:43am
post #10 of 10

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Way to go! Glad it worked out for you!

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%