Cake Boards

Decorating By genevieveyum Updated 19 May 2010 , 7:42pm by prterrell

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 9

I'm wondering- the boards (not the cardboard separator plates, but the thicker boards that go under the whole cake and many people edge with ribbons)... do you charge for that? is it a deposit? do you get them back? or is the cost factored into the cost of your cakes?

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 9

Those are called cake drums. They are usually made from thicker layers of cardboard or of foamcore and are wrapped in food-safe foil. They are considered disposable. The cost of the board should be considered when calculating the cost of the cake.

genevieveyum Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:02am
post #3 of 9

Thanks! I was thinking of having my husband make some out of MDF- but then it wouldn't really be disposable.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:31am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by genevieveyum

Thanks! I was thinking of having my husband make some out of MDF- but then it wouldn't really be disposable.

You can have him make you some out of 1/2 inch foamcore icon_lol.gif

Those are disposable, too, and you can make them any shape or size that you want.

Rae

prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:32am
post #5 of 9

If you have them made out of MDF, then they're cake stands and you should charge a deposit = to the replacement cost (I'd include the time it takes your hubby to make them in that cost) and then refund a portion of the deposit upon return (basically the deposit minus however much you want to charge for the rent, or you can refund the entire deposit and include the "rent" in the cake price).

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:53am
post #6 of 9

Are the cake drums really strong enough to hold a heavy cake? If I do a 14, 10 and 8" - is the 16" cake drum strong enough to hold that much cake?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 9

Absolutely, drums are strong enough. I use them exclusively.

genevieveyum Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:00pm
post #8 of 9

You are all amazing resources- thanks!

prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMom5001

Are the cake drums really strong enough to hold a heavy cake? If I do a 14, 10 and 8" - is the 16" cake drum strong enough to hold that much cake?

They are between 1/2 and 1 inch thick and made of strong cardboard or foamcore. They are designed to do one thing, hold up cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%