Do You Have "kindle" Cake Decorating Books?

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 21 May 2010 , 2:08am by costumeczar

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 12

I was shopping at Amazon.com and looking at cake decorating books and started seeing Kindle edition cake decorating books. I don't have a Kindle and don't know the first thing about it, but wondered how cake decorating books would be to use on a Kindle? Wouldn't everything be a lot smaller than the book? Would you be able to see serious detail in photos?

Just wondering if it is worth the price tag to buy the Kindle to use for cake decorating books icon_confused.gif

11 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:36am
post #2 of 12

My DD has a kindle, I am thinking it wouldn't be that great for the details....someone correct me if I am wrong, but they are only in black and white and (IMO) look like a fancy etch-a-sketch! She has used hers to download some of her required books for her college courses.....a LOT cheaper than buying some of them!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 12

I have kindle on my Ipod touch and i can read books just fine, don't know what a cake decorating book would look like on it. But i have downloaded a manual for the cricut gypsy on it and have been able to see that fine.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 12

I have a kindle and yes it is black and white, I doubt the detail would be that great. Personally I love any kind of cookbook, having the cookbook/cake decorating book on my kindle just wouldn't be the same for me.

MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 20 May 2010 , 3:13am
post #5 of 12

I love my Kindle, but would never consider a cake decorating book on it. First, no color, second, I like to be able to actually open a cake decorating book and read it while I try the techniques, etc. I will never own a cake decorating book nor a biography on Kindle!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 20 May 2010 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlotCook

I love my Kindle, but would never consider a cake decorating book on it. First, no color, second, I like to be able to actually open a cake decorating book and read it while I try the techniques, etc. I will never own a cake decorating book nor a biography on Kindle!

I agree! My sister in law asked me this one time when I bought a cake decorating book, "Can't you get that for your Kindle?" Well, yes, but it'll be without color and it's just nice to be able to flip through it.

I think the Kindle works best for novels, not so much cookbooks or books with lots of pictures.

Then again, I could get the Kindle app for my iPod touch and browse the books on there....Nah! I'd rather have the DTB (dead-tree book).

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 20 May 2010 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 12

DOes the B&N Nook do color? I hear it's a better device than the Kindle.

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 20 May 2010 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 12

I downloaded the Kindle for PC and the sample books I have tried were in color, and being on the computer, the screen is bigger than the Kindle screen.

Still on the fence on this one, but I do LOVE my cake decorating books. Sometimes they are better than a novel...lol.

Thanks everyone!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:10pm
post #9 of 12

the tech for the kindle, nook, and sony's eReader are for electronic ink ... which is basically black and white at the moment.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 20 May 2010 , 10:12pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

the tech for the kindle, nook, and sony's eReader are for electronic ink ... which is basically black and white at the moment.

don't crucify me, techies, i know i'm highly simplifying how those devices work!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 21 May 2010 , 1:51am
post #11 of 12
Quote:

Quote:

don't crucify me, techies, i know i'm highly simplifying how those devices work!

Simplified, yes, but not wrong. icon_smile.gif eInk is the shortened term.

The only color screen the Nook has is the touchscreen banner below the reading screen.

As far as which eReader is the best, it's better to do your own research. It all depends on what features are a must have, your price point for the device and the price point for the books.

My only complaint, right now, with my Kindle is the publisher disputes. Last month I missed out on two of my favorite author's books on the Kindle. I had to purchase the paperbacks in a store instead. I'm afraid the same case will take place next week, when a couple more of my favorite authors will release new books, and Amazon and Penguin are still negotiating.

If I were a fortune teller, and the Nook had been released a few months earlier, I'd have a Nook. icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 May 2010 , 2:08am
post #12 of 12

I don't use my kindle for reference books like that. Anything that you'd be leafing back and forth a lot is difficult to deal with on the e-readers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%