Buttercream & Raspberry Filling Or Just Raspberry Fillin

Decorating By cujobujo Updated 20 May 2010 , 12:39pm by all4cake

cujobujo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cujobujo Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 15

Am making a 2 or 3 layered white cake (6") on top of a 2 or 3 layerd chocolate cake (9").
Chocolate filling is going to be buttercream mixed with raspberry filling for a thick pink buttercream filling.
White cake I am having trouble deciding whether to use JUST raspberry filling between the layers, or put down a layer of white buttercream followed by a layer of raspberry filling, then adding the next layer of cake, and so on. This way, there would be definition when you cut the cake of each layer having a layer of white buttercream with raspberry on top of it.
I was looking at pics and thinking that if I just used raspberry filling instead of raspberry filling over white buttercream. the taste might be too much like a jell sandwich??
Suggestions??
Anone have pics of the INSIDE of their layer cake using raspberry alone or raspberry w/buttercream?? Most pics I find are the outside of the cake and I don't know how the inside ended up looking.
I have done a white layered cake with lemon curd with NO buttercream in the filling layers, but I was just thinking raspberry without some frosting in the layer might taste weird.
The outer layer of the cake will be a thick white buttercream (not jsut a crumb coat) followed by fondant.
Chocolate calke will have thick chocolate buttercream followed by fondant as well.

14 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 15

I use rasberry filling alone all the time. Looks and tastes great! When I worked at Publix, it was the 2nd most popular cake filling (behind fresh strawberries).

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 15

I also use raspberry filling alone all the time.... it will not taste like a jelly sandwich and it won't be weird.... matter of fact... just like prterrell it's a very popular filling and I don't see why you would need to add the buttercream... u will have that on the outside already....

Good luck and hope it's super yummy!!!

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:58am
post #4 of 15

I prefer the layer of buttercream under the raspberry filling.. I guess I just think its prettier!! Sure either way would be fine.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:12am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilblack

I prefer the layer of buttercream under the raspberry filling.. I guess I just think its prettier!! Sure either way would be fine.

me too! also I'm worried the raspbery will soak into the cake without the buttercream layer

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #6 of 15

I like to put a thin layer of buttercream just to keep the raspberry filling from soaking down too much into the cake layer. Plus it looks nice. I don't put very much, just a VERY thin layer.

mbark Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:18am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I like to put a thin layer of buttercream just to keep the raspberry filling from soaking down too much into the cake layer. Plus it looks nice. I don't put very much, just a VERY thin layer.

yep, very thin layer

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:30am
post #8 of 15

Just curious...for those that apply a thin coat of buttercream then the filling/preserves/whatever, do ya'll also apply a thin coat to the underside of the layers to prevent soaking into the layer above?

mbark Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:37am
post #9 of 15

no, not too worried about it as the raspberry would be sinking down not up

all4cake Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:42am
post #10 of 15

It soaks up as well as sinks down

I don't intentionally apply a coat to the underside but sometimes, like when making petit fours, it may wind up that way...sometimes not.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:54am
post #12 of 15

I agree that it tastes fine having the filling right next to the cake, without any buttercream in between. Here's a link to a blog where you can see a cake sliced with the filling directly touching the cake. It's the photo in the header of the page.

http://cakeideas.blogspot.com/

all4cake Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:56am
post #13 of 15

one with the filling 'sandwiched' between frosting

http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/03/p_BKS058309.jpg

and the directions for it...

http://www.bhg.com/crafts/playing-cards-cake/

cujobujo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cujobujo Posted 20 May 2010 , 4:25am
post #14 of 15

wow, thanks for the pics!! I never even thought to do a four layer with the top and bottom layer just raspberry and the middle layer just buttercream. That looks very pretty too!! Hmm, I have a lot to think about... I wont be eating the cake, and I'm not too much of a cakey person, so I wanted to make sure the entire party I'm making the cake for wouldn't be like "ummmm, this tastes like a pb&j sandwich minus the pb"... but I didn't realize it was actually very popular. And I thought for those that like frosting, the raspberry only filling might disappoint. Decisions, decisions... and here I am not knowing yet if I will be keeping the cake as a two layer with 2" layers or a four layer with 1" layers. I swear I think about things until I just make it way more complicated than it actually is!! I think I will do two trial cakes this weekend!!

all4cake Posted 20 May 2010 , 12:39pm
post #15 of 15

Hey! If you need a taster...I'm raising my hand over here (horshack style...ooh ooh ooh!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%