Do You Think This Is Tacky?

Business By MariaK38 Updated 21 May 2010 , 12:29am by 7yyrt

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 31

Hi! In an effort to publicize my business a little more and foster my love of baking, I'd like to donate some mini cupcakes and peanut butter buckeyes to my son's school for use at the 8th graders' graduation (my son is one of the graduates!)... about 50-75 of each. I'd put out pamphlets or business cards next to the treats.
Is that tacky? Part of me thinks so, and the other part of me doesn't. I wouldn't want to offend anyone.
I donated a basket of some of my treats last week for the carnival's auction and it went over well.
Should I put out pamphlets/cards or just rely on word of mouth? Should I even offer to donate the treats?

Thanks! Maria

30 replies
jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 31

As a business, you could be a "sponsor" for the graduation. This would be assuming other businesses would be doing the same thing, however it appears that this would be done in a "mom" capacity as opposed to a business capacity. Would you do this if it weren't your child's graduation? If not, then don't advertise, just donate them as a generous parent.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 May 2010 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 31

Gosh I hope it isn't tacky. I'm donating a whole candy buffet for 100 people tomorrow and I'm plastering my biz cards and a small sign all over that bad boy.

MariaK38 Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 31

leah, you're a trip! you always make me laugh!

thanks for the tips! I think since I'm doing it as a mom and there's no other sponsors, I'll just offer to donate and leave it at that. But I'll be sure to bring some biz cards/pamphlets just in case! icon_biggrin.gif

Maria

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 18 May 2010 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 31

Display. Your. Cards.

I don't care if you have a kid in the class or not. You are doing this 'gratis' and there is nothing wrong with letting people know who did it. And, if they are impressed, they will WANT that information. I recently did a cancer benefit for free, and they INSISTED on putting out a stack of my biz cards. Which is fortunate, because I'd have insisted if they didn't. Even if you're donating from the goodness of your heart, you still deserve the chance to let people know you did it.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Display. Your. Cards.

I don't care if you have a kid in the class or not. You are doing this 'gratis' and there is nothing wrong with letting people know who did it. And, if they are impressed, they will WANT that information. I recently did a cancer benefit for free, and they INSISTED on putting out a stack of my biz cards. Which is fortunate, because I'd have insisted if they didn't. Even if you're donating from the goodness of your heart, you still deserve the chance to let people know you did it.

I agree. I don't think it's tacky. I hope it brings you lots of business. thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 31

Make sure the buckeyes are labelled as being peanut butter. gotta be careful about allergies, and peanut allergies are one of the worst.

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 18 May 2010 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 31

If your individually wrapping them, then stick a small label on them. I don't think it's tacky at all.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:30am
post #9 of 31

I also think it's a great idea.... and I don't think it's tacky at all... I think this will be very good for your cake bus...

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:40am
post #10 of 31

You know I'm glad this came up -- I'm doing a baby shower cake for this Sunday (donating it to my friend who is having the baby) and she wants me to put cards on the table, but I'm resistant to it because -- I thought that was tacky!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:51am
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

You know I'm glad this came up -- I'm doing a baby shower cake for this Sunday (donating it to my friend who is having the baby) and she wants me to put cards on the table, but I'm resistant to it because -- I thought that was tacky!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I give you permission bob-o!! I give you the non-tacky thumbs up! icon_lol.gif Tacky would be if you stood there saying, "I hope she knows I could've gotten three hundred dollars for this cake! I mean, did YOU buy her a three hundred dollar gift? I don't THINK so!" Hahahah. I swear I have NOT done that. I'm just kidding!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:24am
post #12 of 31

You should ask the school about whether they'll let you put them out or not.

Edited to add: My school disctrict has really strict rules about advertising to students, because if they let one person do it then every parent with a business wants to do it, and every school event turns into a swap meet.

MariaK38 Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:24am
post #13 of 31

thanks, everyone! Maria

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:39am
post #14 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I always put cards on the table when I deliver a cake, now granted I don't put them out front, I tuck them under the cakeboard in the back and let the person who ordered the cake know that I left them there. I am always told that I should have left more.

I also do this with cakes that are picked up, just toss a few cards in the bottom of the box under the cake, they are penny's for me and can't think of better advertising since they're actually getting to eat the cake.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:41am
post #15 of 31

At a tasting on Sunday, I actually had a bride request to display my business cards on her cake table. I even said, "are you sure? I appreciate the thought, but I don't want my cards to interfere with your decorations or theme." She said no, she wanted to display them, because she saw my work and everyone will be asking her, "who made the cake? So the cards would eliminate her having to answer the same question 100 times. LOL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 May 2010 , 11:59am
post #16 of 31

I draw the line at weddings. I would not put out my cards, nor leave them on the table, nor put even my logo on the "flavor card" that's on the table. A wedding is just different - more formal and not my event. I'm hired help.

Also, there's a lady in town who brings the cake, SITS by the cake all night and then serves it. Anyone who comes near the cake table gets a biz card. You all think I'm kidding? nuh-uh. In fact at least one venue has barred her from ever coming there again and she's the joke around town. We're sensitive to this sort of thing around here.

Eisskween Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:10pm
post #17 of 31

Leahs, that's my way of thinking, but it was requested by the bride and it's HER wedding, not mine.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:32pm
post #18 of 31

For the brides that have requested that, I decline and offer to leave the cards with the event coordinator at the venue. That has worked out well for me, if anyone asks, the cards are there, just not on display.

Eisskween Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:40pm
post #19 of 31

Thank you for weighing in Loucinda, but as I said, it's her wedding and she is paying me. I cater to the one who signs the check, no one else.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 19 May 2010 , 12:53pm
post #20 of 31

I agree with another poster on here...I would find out from the school first to get the "thumbs up". Kids and even parents attending the graduation may be allergic to something in the goodies, so I would make sure.

Also, if one parent brings in something and starts advertising, then another parent may want to do the same.
I've wanted to donate some cupcakes for my little sister's school and they declined because they must be store-bought to avoid any circumstances that may occur.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:09pm
post #21 of 31

I would re-think the peanut butter buckeyes. Is peanut butter even allowed at the school? My kids school is a peanut, peanut butter free zone. That's a bummer, because a peanut butter sandwich is an old standby.

mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:16pm
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

I would re-think the peanut butter buckeyes. Is peanut butter even allowed at the school? My kids school is a peanut, peanut butter free zone. That's a bummer, because a peanut butter sandwich is an old standby.

Really??? They serve peanut butter cookies, peanut butter sandwiches, etc. at my children's school. Why would it be "banned"? I know that some are allergic but not everyone is. icon_confused.gif

Eisskween Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:19pm
post #23 of 31
Quote:

Same here, absolutely NO peanut butter, peanut products or anything containing peanuts. My son has a girl in his school that has a reaction even at the scent of peanuts. I can't even imagine a child having to do without peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, that was a staple of my school lunches when I was a kid.

Allergies like this seem to be on the rise, or is it just me?

Aurora_333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aurora_333 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:23pm
post #24 of 31

mamawrobin
Some people are so allergic to peanuts, that even oil residue from them, can set off a reaction.

MariaK38 Posted 19 May 2010 , 1:36pm
post #25 of 31

oh, I had forgotten about the "only store bought" rule the kids' school has. I'll have to see if it's different for an event outside of school.

And I totally understand about other parents wanting to advertise and the school not wanting to set a precedent. I guess I'll just have to ask.

Maria

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 19 May 2010 , 2:04pm
post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Really??? They serve peanut butter cookies, peanut butter sandwiches, etc. at my children's school. Why would it be "banned"? I know that some are allergic but not everyone is. icon_confused.gif

Because even a microscopic amount of peanut in the air can cause someone to go into anaphylactic shock. Peanut allergy is one of the worst allergies possible to have. Someone else can have eaten peanuts and breathe on you right after and accidentally kill you. There must not be anyone at your kids' school that is allergic.

mamawrobin Posted 19 May 2010 , 3:24pm
post #27 of 31

You're probably right prterrell, there probably isn't anyone that allergic at my children's school. They go to a very small school in Poyen, Arkansas. pop. 282 icon_lol.gif The school actually has more students than the town has people.

I don't know if any of you listen to country music but Justin Moore's "Small Town U.S.A." video was filmed in the town that we live in. fyi: The song was a #1 hit last year. Justin graduated from Poyen High School and is also my brother-in-laws nephew.

Melvira Posted 19 May 2010 , 6:50pm
post #28 of 31

You know, I'm sorry... I was answering this post with the assumption that you have a business and therefore it would be perfectly acceptable to take treats. I shouldn't have assumed that. That was my bad. If you DO have a biz, I still don't think it's tacky, but of course, asking is never wrong.

I'm not sure how they can ban peanut butter. I mean, I am completely sensitive to those with allergies, and am so sorry they must suffer with it, but I can't NOT feed it to my kids or stop them from breathing on yours. I just think that situation is awfully hard to try and keep control of.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 19 May 2010 , 8:48pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

...I'm not sure how they can ban peanut butter. I mean, I am completely sensitive to those with allergies, and am so sorry they must suffer with it, but I can't NOT feed it to my kids or stop them from breathing on yours. I just think that situation is awfully hard to try and keep control of.

I use to feel exactly the same way. I wondered why it had to be banned totally. I didn't think it was fair until we had a story in the news a couple of years ago where a child with a peanut butter allergy touched a book with peanut residue on it and went into anaphylaxic shock and died. It was determined that another student had a peanut butter sandwich for lunch and left the residue on the book. I would have been devastated if I had sent that peanut butter sandwich to school.

Melvira Posted 19 May 2010 , 9:00pm
post #30 of 31

That's just awful. I truly think that is horrible and sad, but there is almost no way to protect against that. I mean, think of a kid checking out a library book, reading it after or during their lunch at home, getting microscopic traces on the book, etc. How can you prevent that? That is some seriously scary stuff. It breaks my heart. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%